TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad to say I had to let the TW go. It was hurting my hips and legs bad.

I still have my old, all original DT 250 enduro left to play on around the yard and property. It is an amazing bike. I had one when I was 19 for about 10 years and never laid it down in all those years of hard riding. I finally sold it and now 37 years later my son finds this one for me.

Not taking anything away from the bullet proof TW. But this 250 enduro fits me like a glove and all motions and reactions seem to come second nature and for a man my age, my movements still seems fluid (of course it could all be in my head)

It handles like a dream, and I feel so secure on it. Not saying for a second I could not lay it down......it just seems more natural to me for some reason. It sits so well, it rides so secure on gravels and only wants to drift when you get on it.......

I simply love my 250. I want to find another one just like it except a few scratches, a small dent or two is OK, so I can ride it in my woods and around my house without feeling like i might hurt like I do this one when I ride it.

Below is a carbon copy my first bike I had 37 years ago, all original, just cruisin around my yard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifq7mWPhfvc

Revolverman.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
"now 37 years later, my sons find this one for me". At some point it seems we enjoy going back a few years and doing a 'replay'. It doesn't seem you can do any better than what has just been presented to you. You already have the 'software' for that technology. I am happy for you. Gerry

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
What a beauty! What year is this 250? It looks showroom new, but has the styling many of us remember from "back in the day."

I think if you look at the demographic of the T-dubber, you'll see why we pick a bike like the TW. It's not the feet-forward-laid-back riding position of a Harley, nor the lay-forward-hug-the-tank position of a crotch-rocket, nor even the tip-toe-riding-high position of most modern dirt bikes. It's the sit-up-straight and just ride position we remember from the bikes of the 60's and 70's... kinda like the 250 you're showing.

We can't blame you for getting off a TW for this bike. Hey, it's still a Yamaha and a 250cc, pretty close. You can still be in the "TDub Club" and even wear the shirt...
Congrats.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the kind words. It is a 1975, as near showroom as you can get for an all original bike. (original tires) This bike was bought new at age 19 by a nice lady and owned for 37 years and stored in a climate control garage. Has all original parts, never been down and never rode on any rough stuff. Mostly street miles (2500) total.

I bought it from her and it came to me from Michigan to TN in one day.

It starts on the first crank every time if choked when cold.

It is stored in my shop and covered with a car cover.

Revolverman.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Revolverman, beautiful bike. The first bike I ever bought was a 2 year-old 1975 Yamaha DT175. Looked just like this bike except without the rear rack.

DT175

I sold it a couple years later for $400 to a friend of a friend. What I wouldn't give to have that bike back. At the same time my oldest sister's boyfriend had a Yamaha DT360, I think it was a 1974. That bike scared the crap out of me.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Very nice. Now get one to ride and put some K760s on it for a real dualsport treat.

I had Yamahas and Hondas growing up. The 250s were about right, as long as they Yamahas were left stock and the Hondas were treated to a cam, good pipe (stocker weighed 18 pounds or something), and a CB500T carb. The 175s and 185s were a bit short-legged for the highway and the 350s and 360s were too heavy and too powerful. I'm seriously considering an old XL250 for an adventure bike build.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought one new in '75.Made dozens of trips between St.Louis area and Lake of the Ozarks.Did just fine on the stock tires.I put a larger countershaft sprocket on it so it would cruise comfortable at 60mph and still leave poop for getting out of harms way.I think it had 30,000 miles when I sold it 20 years ago.Fantastic it tight traffic,and in the woods.Beaucoup fun in snow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts