TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Are the 2001+ speedos a direct swap for pre-2001 speedos?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
yes, that's how i got one on my '94.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Some guys FZ07 swapped a Grom so I'm sure with a little work yamaha could fit one in the tdub :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Got sick of waiting and went this route. Just what I've always waited for a farm bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Uhm, okay... that’s dead sexy!

I found this little blurb about the prototype:

“Looking forward to seeing interesting news from the French brand (part of the Indian universe MAHINDRA) in the near future. Let’s assume a model that we would like to see offered by PEUGEOT Motorcycles.

A Fun bike equipped with a 300 cc engine. that the parent company uses on the Mojo model. Modern and robust and undoubtedly suitable for a multi-purpose motorcycle.

Large knobby wheels with the front 18 “and 130mm and the rear 16” by 180mm, low seat, suspension and brakes of excellent quality, the KAHUNA 300 could really be fun.

We see her at ease in the most VIP holiday resorts, both by the sea and in the mountains. Excellent for short trips even on dirt roads or even through the streets of the metropolis not always in excellent condition.

A decidedly more modern and cool proposal, compared to vehicles of a similar type but decidedly very dated and less equipped.

Inevitable in the villa by the sea or in the hold of the yacht for those who can afford them. But also more simple to use as an urban commuter, perhaps equipped at will by drawing on a rich offer of optional extras.”

Hmmmm... I wonder who they’re slinging arrows at there...?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
A decidedly more modern and cool proposal, compared to vehicles of a similar type but decidedly very dated and less equipped.

Hmmmm... I wonder who they’re slinging arrows at there...?
but i betcha won't be able to swap out the speedo across thirty+ yrs of manufacturing... ;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I spent a good hour drooling over that picture. I know it's just a concept, but Peugeot has technically already made their first sale with me, just tell me where to bring my bucket of money in exchange for that machine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cool. I could finally do 80 on a TW!

Reactions: elime

·
Super Moderator
5,443 Posts
This reminds me of when, in one of his old posts, Lzrdbrth said “The trouble with people dissatisfied with the TW’s performance, is that so few first get it running correctly” - (or words to that effect)

Once dialled in (plug, mixture, valves etc), these bikes (although not crotch rockets) are perfectly capable of snorting up the road from 0 – 50

Yet people still come here wondering where the power went, asking for plug and play solutions to make them go faster - and when that fails, long for a bigger engine

If 50 of us lined up on the start for the quarter mile, there would be clear winners and losers, but I’d venture a bet that the ones out in front are owned by the most experienced among us. Not because we are the most experienced wrenchers riders and racers, but because we are the ones who have the most/longest experience of trial and error on these bikes

Every TW has a unique starting point out of the crate, no two bikes are absolutely identical in the way they are set up. So when someone comes here asking for “more power”, there is no “one size fits all” solution. It’s taken me 3000 miles over 5 years to get my 200 to “fly”, to the point where I’d now describe the performance to be “more than adequate”, which was what Russ was getting at

Case in point – last year in Moab, I was riding “The Bee”. This was the bike that Pro-Cycle used to experiment with to increase their line of TW spares. It had everything thrown at it, improved rear shock springs, fork emulators, high compression piston – the lot. Other than the performance of the forks, I reckon my TW could give the Bee a run for its money. Five years ago, it would have left me for dust

We learn through experience, often shared through this board – but still factor in the individuality of your own bike. These are cantankerous beasts, the mules of the bike world – and just like a mule, you need to get to know each other to get the best out of them …….

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
The problem I see with that bike is it will cost a bucket of money. Of course on the first look I thought it was a 700 and got all excited. 300 not so much.

·
Super Moderator
5,443 Posts
The problem with that “concept bike” is that it’s a Peugeot – if it proves to be anything like their cars, it will be over-weight, and replacement parts will cost a fortune

Now, if Honda or Yamaha came up with something like that, I’d give it a “sniff” ……

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Dude... it's a concept, it looks cool, it could be a super cool bike... but it doesn't even exist, just enjoy the possibility of what could be :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Also... I don't think anyone here is truly "dissatisfied" with the TW200s performance, most folks (from what I can assess) bought this bike because of reputation or because (like me) aren't looking to hit the track and see how far we can stretch our face skin doing 200 on a straightaway, we wanted something to ride locally and on trail that takes us to cool places at sub-60mph.

Like many other manufacturers, it has a 200cc engine, and many other manufacturers realized that using the same bike and giving it a more versatile engine can be both safer and financially beneficial, TWs have a cult following, and a unique look, that's why they've produced it for so long without change... not because of anyone's opinion, but because it sells.

Yamaha will probably never build a 400 or a 650 version, but no reason for people to get defensive because people like to dream about a house they can't afford, a life as a millionaire they will never have, or a TW with a 650cc engine.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts