TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out a good way to run a headlight on my little big wheel. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Don't know anything about them to be of much help, but can always ask questions to lead in the right direction...

Any idea what the electrical output is or what kind of power generation setup it has? Does it have a battery? How much light do you need/want? Maybe an LED setup like ronnydog put on his would work? Certainly lower power requirements than a traditional headlight.

Looking at how minimalistic it is, you might not even have a way to power a headlight. Not sure they would go to the trouble, given the lack of any electrical devices that would require power. It would probably be relatively easy to adapt a stator lighting coil from another bike if that is the case. You can then either run headlight directly (will dim at low rpm and not work unless engine is running) or add a rectifier and battery if there is room for a small one.

Lots of options if you have to go totally custom (depending on how much work you want to put in) but someone here probably knows the drill.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... there is no battery(kick starts). I'm not very knowledgable about these little 2stroke bikes. Everything i've learned has been from taking it apart and putting it back together. Maybe a light with a battery pack in or attached to it? Headlamp? Not trying to spend too much on it considering I only paid $500 for the bike, but I also want it to look decent. Just need enough light to putt around the yard at night after work.

·
Registered
112 Posts
catch fireflys in a mason jar.

sorry, had to say it.

id get one of those big square flashlights and mount it.

with duck tape

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol. Will do yoter. Im looking around for any kind of decently bright led light that I can velcro, 3mtape or wrap around the fairing. I dont need want to deal with connecting it to the engine or trying to.
Large headlamp may just do the trick but I was hoping you guys would have some ideas... other than fireflies! Lol Gonna go look around pep boys this weekend

·
Registered
866 Posts
Lol. Will do yoter. Im looking around for any kind of decently bright led light that I can velcro, 3mtape or wrap around the fairing. I dont need want to deal with connecting it to the engine or trying to.
Large headlamp may just do the trick but I was hoping you guys would have some ideas... other than fireflies! Lol Gonna go look around pep boys this weekend

You might take a look at some of the bicycle lights available. They've got some high zoot ones, depending on how much you want to spend. I've got one that I spent about $50 on and it works perfectly for nighttime mountain bike trail riding. I'll try it on the tdub if I get a chance.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/search/battery-powered-lights

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/search/rechargeable-lights

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
We are required to have headlights and taillights on all our dirtbikes here so I have had some experience adding lights to bikes that don't come with lights. If the bike doesn't have a battery, the issue becomes more difficult. The stator is general only wound for ignition on a bike that's not equiped with a headlight. If there is a stock headlight, the stator has additional windings on the "lighting" coils and usually a battery. Most headlights run directly off the stator and the taillight/signal lights run off the battery. I don't konw any company that rewinds the BW80 stator - you could contact Baha Designs or Ricky Stator.

I think your best option is a LED light for a bicycle like this:

Strykr LED

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Hey, I was serious about the streetlight deal, worked great with some floodlights mounted on the house and barn when my kids were little. I can see where that wouldn't be such a good idea for a bigger yard.

I'll go along with the LED bicycle headlight idea. I used a couple bike lights on a riding mower when mowing at night and they worked quite well when combined with a headlight on my head. If memory serves, I got them from Walmart, unscrewed the handlebar clamps, and bolted them to cheap L-brackets screwed to the hood of the machine. A layer or two of innertube rubber will make bicycle clamps fit TW bars. NiMh rechargeable batteries were a good investment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts