TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a nice original owner BW200 in Oregon, not mine but if I wanted another BW200 it would be

Owner says no title claiming it came on a bill of sale which I doubt I believe they came on MSO's but on dirt bikes people often didn't keep track of them

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/6795465669.html

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
If that was about 3,000 miles closer I would be hooking up my trailer even at -5 degrees.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
Nice PL! If the fenders in front are original then one is an 85 and one is an 86. I can't tell if either is kick and electric start or not. Nice bikes and appear to be in decent shape and I would be doing some negotiating with him if they were here on the east coast. Some say the BW200 is much better in tight trails than the BW350 but I won't know for sure until I get some seat time on my 350 and then find a decent 200 to compare with.

GaryL

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a BW200, but only if it's an upgrade from the TW200 for riding in loose/sandy conditions. If any of you can give me some feedback on that, it will be much appreciated. I've watched some youtube videos, but still not convinced it will be an improvement over the TW.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a BW200, but only if it's an upgrade from the TW200 for riding in loose/sandy conditions. If any of you can give me some feedback on that, it will be much appreciated. I've watched some youtube videos, but still not convinced it will be an improvement over the TW.
I can't comment on the BW200 in sand and being an improvement over the TW but can say my BW350 will be great in lose terrain and will blow a TW away with all the extra power. Some guys swear the BW200 is the better handling of the BWs and I can say for sure the BW200 are a much easier bike to rebuild because of parts availability. I don't know why but what I have found is the BW machines were way more popular out west and between Oregon, Idaho and Montana is where I have located most of the parts I needed. Very few of these machines came east for some reason but I do see quite a few Honda Fat Cats around here. The BW350 was only made for 2 years, 87 & 88 but the 200s had a longer life run.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
are there frame differences between the bw200 and bw350, or is it just displacement and weight?

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
are there frame differences between the bw200 and bw350, or is it just displacement and weight?
Almost totally different frames with the 350 being larger and longer and only a few parts are interchangeable.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
so the motors aren't swappable? from pics they seemed like the same case as a tw

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
I think the 200 motors are similar but not the same. The BW200 has a cover over the front sprocket that is removable to change without opening the case side cover. I highly doubt the 350 will fit in a BW200 frame but I don't know for sure. I have read a number of posts on ADV about guys dropping much bigger engines in the 350 frames but nothing about this with the 200s. BW200 have dual shocks while the 350 have a mono one. I do think the front trees and forks could be swapped and possibly wheels and tires but they too are different sizes. There is a long discussion of over 285 pages on the ADV forum about the BWs and I have only read a small fraction so far. A BW200 motor in a TW would require a lot of work getting the extended output shaft to work.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the BW200 is a legendary Sand Dune pit bike I remember people up in Sand Lake Oregon talking about BW200's for years this is why the "missile" kits installing balloon tires on higher HP bikes were so popular. I don't see a BW200 out performing a TW anywhere except the sand

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
the BW200 is a legendary Sand Dune pit bike I remember people up in Sand Lake Oregon talking about BW200's for years this is why the "missile" kits installing balloon tires on higher HP bikes were so popular. I don't see a BW200 out performing a TW anywhere except the sand
I will agree regarding the BW200 models but the 350 models have some ridiculous power that a TW could only wish it had. I can't yet speak to the handling of the BW350 but on the very short ride I did on mine after rebuilding the carb and getting it running good was a bit scary in the low end and grabbing a handful of the throttle was pretty impressive coming from the mild mannered TW world.

GaryL

·
Registered
241 Posts
I watched some youtube videos that were posted by a guy in Alaska. It looks like the BW350 will easily stand on end with a quick flick of the throttle. That's certainly way more response than a TW200.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
I am surprised it is not already sold!

GaryL

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
i feel bad for the guy. sucks to be in a pinch, especially one not of your own making.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
1 - 20 of 72 Posts