TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thinking out loud here ...
The left front turn signal stopped working and the rear is solid on.
Front bulb is not burnt out and right turn signals work. I tried the left bulb in the right socket and it works.
As the right turn signal is working the relay should be fine. I also can here it doing its job when the right signal is on. With the left it back a a noise once.
I played around with the wires and it is kind of weird that the green meets up with the brown and the brown meets up with the green, but if I flip them I get a right front and a left rear when I put the left turn signal on.
Anyway I think it has to be a short to the front left signal. Am I correct in thinking this?
Below is the wiring Diagram

19 - flasher relay
20 - turn switch
21 - turn indicator light
22 - right flasher light
23 - left flasher light
ZOOMED in view

I also need a horn for the DT. TW horn works when connected to DT. DT horn does not work when connected to TW.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
What gives - how do you get a picture on this new platform ????????????
besides posting to google phots first

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took electrical apart this morning and using an ohmmeter found that the ground wire was hit and miss. Took the light signal light apart and found a bit of dirt and corrosion on the ground pate that is a friction fit to the bulb holder. Cleaned it up and it worked. For good measure took both signal lights off and reversed them so that the wiring colours match up - bike was partly restored before I bought it and that is probably when they got reversed. Took the horn off the defunct Xingue 400 and put it on the DT. The DT is now street legal again.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cooling mod

Added computer fans to the rads to see if they will help on those steep 1st gear climbs. At the NE Oregon ride, the bike was getting hot and loosing power on the tight, steep single track. I was going to wire it to the high beam, but there is not 12 V DC. I ended up adding a switch and splicing into my 12 V outlet.
image.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Nice, I liked the hi-beam idea. I have a fan on my oil cooler at times as well.

Added computer fans to the rads to see if they will help on those steep 1st gear climbs. At the NE Oregon ride, the bike was getting hot and loosing power on the tight, steep single track. I was going to wire it to the high beam, but there is not 12 V DC. I ended up adding a switch and splicing into my 12 V outlet.
View attachment 181850

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The school I worked at has been getting of rid of older PCs for the last few years, so I canalized a 1/2 dozen or more for fans. I put the larger diameter fans on the bike and one is in the range hood of the camper.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I got out to Tamihi with a friend and did some steep single track: Buffalo jump and Perish hill and the computer fans keep the bike under 80% of max temp and it was a hot day, about 27 Celcius. For those of you that did the single track at the NE Oregon ride - those trails were tame compared to these.

Alpine Meadow

Snow - We needed to push the bike through

View from a ledge.

another view from the ledge - Jeff is pounding his brake lever back with a rock so he can use it after on the steep down hill to come as we need to get down to the valley below.

We had lunch here as it was cool.

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Cannot view what must be killer photos:(.
Mr.Gizmo bike has a CPU fan blowing through ductwork onto cylinder fooling fins. It knocks 20 degrees F off of oil temp as measured at engine sump. Ductwork is just visible in front of knee. Wave.jpg

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
A bit better view of CPU ductwork with a little video for entertainment purposes only until Ekhardt gets his pictures reloaded.
You know folks, we've got to go out and actually ride these things to really enjoy them to their fullest.:p

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Made a shared album, so hopefully the pictures show otherwise here is the link to the album

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I reloaded the pictures after creating a shared album for them. Here is a link to the album in case the pictures still do not show.

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Wow, photos were worth the wait! Really rugged country for a narrow trail ride. Sort of trail where you just can't have too low a first gear?

Somebody sure knows how to get out and have an adventurous ride. We should all get inspired and arrange life's schedules to go for a ride.

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
ejfran said - The school I worked at has been getting of rid of older PCs for the last few years, so I canalized a 1/2 dozen or more for fans. I put the larger diameter fans on the bike and one is in the range hood of the camper.

Admiral said - Gee dang-it, I threw some old cpu fans away from old work computers not knowing what to do with them. Camper vent fan is an excellent idea. Or maybe a window fan too.

ejfranz said - I took electrical apart this morning and using an ohmmeter found that the ground wire was hit and miss. Took the light signal light apart and found a bit of dirt and corrosion on the ground pate that is a friction fit to the bulb holder. Cleaned it up and it worked. For good measure took both signal lights off and reversed them so that the wiring colours match up - bike was partly restored before I bought it and that is probably when they got reversed. Took the horn off the defunct Xingue 400 and put it on the DT. The DT is now street legal again.

Admiral said - I need to take a longer look and clean my light switch on the XT200. High beam works but not low beam. Seems like the low beam gets burned out just as soon as it starts. Only electrical problem the XT has...other than no electrical start lol. From another forum thread, I was thinking of rewiring the headlight into the battery instead of off the stator. I'll check it out this winter, too much riding to worry about it now.:p

Have fun on your big African trip.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New Shoe

New Mountain Hybrid next to worn out Extreme Hybrid

Clayton on WR250r with D606. Clayton said I was ll over the place after the whoops which were 1/3 of the way up the hill. Was in 3rd and had to drop to 2nd and the worn out Extreme Hybrid would not hook up as I wanted - So New Shoe for the DT.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Got out for a short ride to test the new tire. 15 lbs seems a bit too hard.
There is a trail with a granite boulder climb and it is steep like some of the ledge climbs in Moab. There was a bit of dirt on it and unlike Moab the tire started to spin and slide.
either I did not have all the tire mould lube worn off the tire or had too much air pressure.

The start and end of Joe Poke trail.
Still need to clean the air filter and change the oil before the Idaho Home warming ride at the Admiral's.

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Got out for a short ride to test the new tire. 15 lbs seems a bit too hard.
There is a trail with a granite boulder climb and it is steep like some of the ledge climbs in Moab. There was a bit of dirt on it and unlike Moab the tire started to spin and slide.
either I did not have all the tire mould lube worn off the tire or had too much air pressure.

The start and end of Joe Poke trail.
Still need to clean the air filter and change the oil before the Idaho Home warming ride at the Admiral's.
It will be interesting to see how you like this tire as you get used to it.

Yes, clean your filter. Last weekend Wilbur wouldn't run other than on choke. Pulled the carb and the pilot was clogged. Removed air cleaner and holy cow was it dirty from Moab. Caked on. Today I removed Scoob's air cleaner. Worse than Wilbur except it stills been running. I've never seen this before but the screen was even clogged with red silty dirt from Moab. Yeeouch!

P.S. I wish they had sold DT200's here. Jealous I am.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

A bit dirty from Moab.

Bike is now ready for some Idaho exploring.
Fresh Oil, Clean Air filter, GPS wiring harness rewired, fork air pressure @ 5 PSI and tires set at 13 PSI.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got out today for a 7 hour ride covering 38 km of which 12 km was getting to the trails and back.
We had drizzle and were riding in the clouds for a bit. We did a few different trails up at McNutt.
Came down a double red diamond - Future Trail - that had some major pucker factor to it.
When you have to get off the bike and using the front brake causes the rear tire to come off the ground, now that is steep.

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Got out today for a 7 hour ride covering 38 km of which 12 km was getting to the trails and back.
We had drizzle and were riding in the clouds for a bit. We did a few different trails up at McNutt.
Came down a double red diamond - Future Trail - that had some major pucker factor to it.
When you have to get off the bike and using the front brake causes the rear tire to come off the ground, now that is steep.
When you describe a trail having "major pucker factor" I suspect this isn't even in the ballpark of a "Fred's easy trail". Way worse. :eek::D

McNutt, that alone sounds bad! :p

P.S. You forgot to leave your DT200 here on your last visit!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts