TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried like hell to get a 23 TW . I put a deposit on one in Hampton NH a month or so ago.
Got the call last week NFW. They had 2 on order only to find out they not coming. Called a dealer from Laconia NH only to be told I’m 3rd on a wish list. At 62,I’m throwing in the towel. Kinda new what I was getting into after it took 16 months to get my 22 Yamaha GP 1800 Wave runner.
Good Luck, Best Wishes and Happy Holidays to all. McMurph out .

· Registered
248 Posts
I tried like hell to get a 23 TW . I put a deposit on one in Hampton NH a month or so ago.
Got the call last week NFW. They had 2 on order only to find out they not coming. Called a dealer from Laconia NH only to be told I’m 3rd on a wish list. At 62,I’m throwing in the towel. Kinda new what I was getting into after it took 16 months to get my 22 Yamaha GP 1800 Wave runner.
Hey friend, I'm in NH too. I drove 4 hours to Plainfield CT to pick one up. Made a day of it stopped for a nice lunch, talked with the guys at the shop for quite a while. Turned out to be a 12 hour trip but well worth it. To tell you the truth I would have traveled further, even spent a night if I had to. Just bring plenty of padding and straps and a cover wouldn't hurt.

· Registered
2023 TW 200, 2019 YZ250, 1996 DR650, 2 Ozarks, Trailblazer 250, TrailBoss330
21 Posts
McMurph, don't despair. Took me awhile to find my new 23 and was lucky that it was only 50 mi away. At 62, you're TW people. The market for used ones is good, but they're starting to go down in price. And just know this, if you buy new, it's gonna be way more than you wanted to spend. Don't ask me how I know...but this will be my last new bike purchase. Keep looking. You WILL NOT regret purchasing a TW.

· Registered
1,948 Posts
Strongly suggest looking into a used bike. A "brand-new" bike can only hold that title for a year - at best! Then it's just another used bike like the rest of 'em...

· Registered
22 BMW G310GS, 2018 Van Van,
947 Posts
Maybe contemplate purchasing a carbureted unit in these modern times? There are other options. One neat part of buying new is the promise of trouble free operation. Note in the tech section of this forum, how troubled the TW is out the box, mostly due to fueling. Also the TW lacks ABS which is a life saver on tarmac, especially if a newer rider. For nearly the same amount of money you can get a modern design that will function better on todays fuel, have ABS etc. Honda has a couple of sweet options.
If one has to have a TW, used is far better, hopefully owner already did what they could for the fueling already. TW a great unit but needs upgrading to remain viable.

· Registered
4,320 Posts
Maybe contemplate purchasing a carbureted unit in these modern times? There are other options. One neat part of buying new is the promise of trouble free operation. Note in the tech section of this forum, how troubled the TW is out the box, mostly due to fueling. Also the TW lacks ABS which is a life saver on tarmac, especially if a newer rider. For nearly the same amount of money you can get a modern design that will function better on todays fuel, have ABS etc. Honda has a couple of sweet options.
If one has to have a TW, used is far better, hopefully owner already did what they could for the fueling already. TW a great unit but needs upgrading to remain viable.
ABS on bikes has killed many more than it has saved just learn how to brake the front brake properly

ABS is very dangerous for high speed trail braking in turns all the pro riders remove ABS job one when their new bikes come home day one

· Registered
1987 and 2009 TW200's
269 Posts
Don't bail out yet!
Keep up the hunt, you will feel great knowing you saved a bunch of money, and even better when you finally own a TW!
And Happy Holidays to you, too!

· Registered
474 Posts
I have a car that has 6 different driving modes that change the steering, throttle and braking response, the suspension, the engine performance parameters, even the dashboard......and has 1000 pages of owner's manuals.....I did not know that apples even played or that On Star would tell you where to go and how fast to go and report it to your insurance company.....sooner or later all that stuff with fail.....

So, the other day I was in a Honda Motorcycle Dealer and to my astonishment there were motorcycles with riding modes...I guess the youngsters like that stuff.... Rant Over......sorry for the distraction...

At least my TW has 1950s technology, and I can actually understand the owner's manual without a teenager to explain it to me.... ;)

· Registered
1,747 Posts
ABS is a pain to bleed brakes.
One of the things I liked about the XVS 950 is that it was NOT ABS.

Glad TW and XT do not have it.

I like new bikes but an unmolested used one is also a great contender.

When I bought the XVS 950 six months ago, I was looking for an XT 250 and even with the help of Bob Starr, could not find one... But I certainly did not mind a thousand miles a month on the XVS 950 when I was still looking for an XT 250.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
My BMW 650 Dakar had a switch to lock out ABS. That was designed for non-pavement surfaces where loose material would have the ABS thinking it was in a skid and engage, thereby all but eliminating braking.
Pain in the ass to push the button and hold it every time I start up when I ride on a logging road, because it resets to ABS on every time you shut it down. Nanny laws. When it is actually more dangerous to have it on at times... Made sure the ABS light was blinking before I hit some steep downhill grades.

· Registered
181 Posts
As others have said, look at the used market. I've owned three TW's since '07. One was beat on pretty hard by it's PO, but was a good bike after I got it sorted. The second was owned by a friend who owned it since it was new and wasn't hard on it. The third was someone's commuter, had street tires on it and 5,000 miles on it. I've owned that one the longest, have doubled that mileage and it's a great bike.

As for ABS, both of my KTM's (990 Adventure & Duke 200) both have ABS which can be turned-off. My Honda Trail does not. On the Adventure it's a button on the dash which you have to press when you start the bike (can't do it while it's in motion if I recall). It's an early ABS design and is a bit obtrusive about when it comes on (lightly engaging the rear brake at 80+ on the highway generally activates it). My Uncle was the PO of that bike and made turning the ABS off a part of his pre-ride routine because that button is basically worn-out!

The Duke requires going though a 'Riding Mode' menu of some sort, even then I'm not sure if it's ever truly off.

I'm also glad that the TW doesn't have such nannies but even on my modern bikes I rarely turn-off the ABS, though the Adventure is the only bike I ever feel it engage on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts