TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Yamaha FZ6

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  pizza_pablo 
#1 ·
Been doing a lot of rides around my area lately that are all blacktop and with long stretches of 55mph speed limit roads (which means everyonje is going 60+). As much as I like the TW, it would be nice to have a little more power on those rides. I also have a 650 V-Star, which has the extra power, and I enjoy riding that, but I am enjoyong the more upright riding position that the TW.
With that in mind, and since all this self isolation, and nothing being open where I could go spend money, I have a couple extra bucks to spend. I'm considering adding another bike to my garage and the Yamaha FZ6 has caught my eye.
Can anyone offer an opinion on the FZ6, and tell me a little about your experience with it?

Reactions: Ken
#2 ·
Years ago, when I was first looking at a stablemate to the TW, I also fell for the looks and charm of the Fazer. I desperately wanted a 2005 black and silver one. I found a local dealership with a used FZ6. Ugh, after all of the "more upright position" descriptions that I had read, the bike just did not fit me. I didn't even take it out. The pegs were too far back and up for me to feel like I could properly shift or brake. If the TW is a neutral upright riding position, and the V-Star is more back, then the FZ6 is definitely forward. Also of note is that the FZ6 is the little brother of the R6 and has a high-revving I-4. That may or may not be what you are looking for regarding back roads. Don't let me talk you out of looking for one. It is probably just my tree trunk legs and such, so if you find one and can test it, go for it.

I eventually went with the Honda CB500 family first introduced in 2013, first adding the naked styled F then eventually the ADV styled X. The F is also a bit forward and the X is much more neutral. The little Hondas have a 471 cc parallel twin which get 65 mpg with my big butt. I also think the Suzuki V-Strom 650 is a great option as a TW stablemate.

Good luck with your search to fulfill the N+1=Happiness formula!

Reactions: Rickhem
#3 ·
Thanks for the insight Larry, I appreciate it.
I like the Honda 500s, but they're going for almost double what I can get the FZ6 for, and I'd hoped to stay with the Yamaha family if at all possible.
Your observation about riding position on the FZ6 is exactly what I wanted to hear about. There is a motorcycle ergonomics site that shows what you are saying in graphic form, but it is always described as an upright riding position (maybe by crotch rocket riders?). I rode a sportbike once, and I am not looking for something like that, maybe I need to sit on one of these and see how it feels.

#4 ·
For sure. Everyone is different. Checking the fit for you is important. If you are only looking at Yamaha, maybe add the FZ8 to your search as well. I rented one in Hawaii a few years back, and I had a lot of fun on it. It also had a forward lean for me, but I loved the linear power of that 800cc I-4.

#5 ·
I have an old 86 Radian 600 and I call it a 3/4 lean. It is not bolt upright and it is not leaning except for just enough against the wind down the freeway. My feet are under me but not behind me. I really like that riding position on the street but I don't know what is comparable on newer bikes. I have heard the FZ6 are really nice bikes. I was looking for another bike (Yamaha) but when I started researching maintenance and valve adjustments on a street bike I ended up with a Honda Shadow Spirit. It took a while to get used to my feet in front of me but the low torque on an 1100 is nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.