TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23,059 Posts
Seems shockingly expensive but my experience is limited to riding my brother's '82 IT250 in the mid- 80's. At the time he bought and sold it for around $1000 US. I never liked way it cornered in the woods.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

My '82 YZ250 seemed a much more impressive machine in both appearance and performance. However I have no real knowledge of current market values in UK.
Wheel Tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
They are a bitch to kickstart. That's a lot of CC's and compression your foot is dealing with. Does it have a compression release? I had a YZ400, a KX500 and a Husky 450. All 2 stroke and all could break a foot if you didn't kick her over right.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
They are a bitch to kickstart. That's a lot of CC's and compression your foot is dealing with. Does it have a compression release? I had a YZ400, a KX500 and a Husky 450. All 2 stroke and all could break a foot if you didn't kick her over right.
My yz490 and cr500 were foot breakers also ......
I was never ashamed to accept a push off 😊
I am very happy to have had them,but most times I don't miss them now that their gone..,..
It seems like every time I would let someone ride one of them .. There would be an ER visit involved ...
I would love to have another DT400.... Gotta love the smell of bean oil
mike from NC

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
theres a secret key to easy starting these early Yamahas you must remove the flywheel and polish the ignition pick it's on the inside of the flywheel so it catches dust and fine metal particles through centrifigal force and if it's not spotless it has erratic , late or weak spark at low rpm's
many people only see the alternator pick ups which are much larger and more obvious it's easy to miss the ignition trigger

·
Registered
2021 TW
561 Posts
If you like it and it and it makes you happy, what the hell.
As I remember they were not a big seller here. Dont know about your side of the pond.
Poking around on the interweb I found three for sale from 1000 to 4000 usd. None looked original,low hours or pristine. For 5200 quid it would have to be in really good condition for me to consider buying. But then the days of big bore desert bikes are over for me.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Back around 2012 I saw a really mint one sell for $8500 went from the USA to Germany

At the time I was shocked I still see them as $800 dirt bikes but that was in the 80's lol
My first new bike was a 67 Honda CB150: $575
My first enduro was a new 72 Yamaha AT1: $550

1 - 10 of 10 Posts