TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to take the "cage" to the dealership today. Since MotoZoo (yamaha dealership) is nearby I decided to spend the waiting room time over there drooling.
Tried on a pair of $600 Fox boots. Not impressed.
Noted that they had TW-34 and TW-31 tires on the rack. Nice to know some dealers keep them in stock.
The bike that really caught my eye, and that I really wanted to love, Was the "new" old SR400
0926151006.jpg
For an around town, and mild highway bike, it is hitting the right buttons.
Fuel Injected, Air cooled, light weight, kick start, simple, single cylinder engine.
Light weight.
Long flat seat.
Duel analog gauges.
Top dead center sight glass.
Not a pretentious, look at me, part on there.
Problem was a closer look and I started to see a few design quirks that after a while started to really bug me.
O2 sensor in the most obnoxious place possible
0926151004a.jpg
I understand that it is needed for the fuel injection system but couldn't they move it down to a slightly less obnoxious location.
The floating, cram it in there, emissions thing.
0926151004b.jpg 0926151004.jpg
This looks worse in person than it does in the pictures. The external oil line up to the head doesn't look to bad, but when I see this on a modern motorcycle the first thing I think is that an engineer screwed up. The internal passageways aren't doing their job so they stuck a fix on the outside.
At just over $5k the price is attractive. Maybe the aftermarket will fix the glitches.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Is it possible that the tube would help serve as an oil cooler of sorts? I am not a mechanic just curious.

Tom

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
The original SR500 also had the external oil line to the head and it probably does cool the oil some. It also has the dry sump lube system, carries the engine oil in the front down tube of the frame, that also must help keep the oil cool. My XV1600 also has external lines to the head and dry sump system. I'm sure that "emissions thing" would end up somewhere else if possible, (like the garbage can) if I bought it.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I've got it in my head that in a year or so I'm going to be able to pick one up cheap and brand new. No e button is going to be a real setback for sales I think. Sure there are those of us that don't find that a problem at all, but I don't think we comprise the market anymore. Maybe that's wishful thinking....

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I've got it in my head that in a year or so I'm going to be able to pick one up cheap and brand new. No e button is going to be a real setback for sales I think. Sure there are those of us that don't find that a problem at all, but I don't think we comprise the market anymore. Maybe that's wishful thinking....
I love that bike and was sitting on one just two days ago. My problem with it is a local price tag of $5,899.00 which is ludicrous for what the machine is. That does not even include the obligatory 4 or $500 of add on charges. Need to be an honest $1000 cheaper for me to consider it.

Tom

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Agree, too much $. It felt small to me too, even the new CB1100 felt smaller than I remembered the old CB's felt.
I was fine with the size overall. Heck it felt sweet to me. I need the option of a windscreen and less money though. At the current price I would MUCH rather spend $500 more and get the Honda CB500X.

Tom

·
Registered
422 Posts
A common modification is to split that external oil line so that it provides positive lubrication to both the intake and exhaust valve train. There is likely no significant cooling from the external line - but there are several kits to do the split line. That is what i did with my 1978 SR500

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm with Borneo on this. I've been looking hard at the sr400 as well, and as Dryden-Tdub says, it's a lot a dough. For me to pull the trigger a high pipe would need to be available. If aftermarket add ons we're offered sales would improve. I want a rack, scrambler pipe, and 10 more HP. I know it's available now, but when I'm done i'll have another 2 K invested in a $4,000 market value bike. Makes that Harley forty-eight look pretty attractive....

·
Registered
129 Posts
TW owners are attracted to the SR400. I was getting my TW inspected at the Yamaha dealer and talked to the owner about the SR400. He said the last guy that bought one traded a TW on it.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Never trade a known for an unknown.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using Tapatalk
By those rules poor men will never KNOW anything new or different. Sometimes you must sacrifice something you love to try something new.

Tom

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
The true talent Tom is to accomplish your goal and not violate the rule.
The real talent Borneo is to not peg your identity on a simple physical object. Maybe for this individual it was divine intervention and exactly the move he needed to make???

Tom

1 - 20 of 37 Posts