TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
It looks pretty till you look at it critically.The skid plates looks like over kill for a bike likely still too heavy ( no weight mentioned ) to drive over rough enough terrain to warrant such protection.The console is fighting for your attention to the road like a hungry cat pacing in front of your computer screen. The seat height and gas tank could be lowered for a more stable center of gravity. Oh yeah and yet another bike with fuel injected computer run by software you'll never own and can't service yourself. If it's so light then why does it need 700cc and how fast does this thing go?...two important specs of many over looked by this article's poetic sales pitch.

Registered
This is the only thing that will replace my CBX anytime soon. I can't remember details or from where, but I'm pretty sure that I read in more than one place that the weight was just over 300 lbs. For me it will all depend on price.

Registered
Well that is a disappoint, littletommy. Smitty, the 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R is 309 dry. But also kinda out of my price range for now. Guess the CBX will stick for a little bit.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #8
It's amazing that they can get any substantial motorcycle weighing in around 300 lbs.
Well that is a disappoint, littletommy. Smitty, the 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R is 309 dry. But also kinda out of my price range for now. Guess the CBX will stick for a little bit.

Registered
No KTMs for me. High strung. Require too much attention. Same with Ducati.
That is why the Multistrada sits. Every adventure is accompanied by a dealer followup visit.
Meanwhile, the R1100R hasn't even been washed since last may, has been ridden every weekend and many weekdays for over 4k miles, and hasn't missed a beat.

Registered
Somehow in my mind a true "ultimate" adventure bike would better protect the rather pricey bits like the Akropovic exhaust.
A saddle comfortable for many hours day after day seems like a basic requirement for any adventure bike and I don't see one.
An "Ideal" adventure bike should have some gear storage as well as readily replaceable parts availble globally.. Things like a common round headlight, a weldable low carbon steel frame and air cooling might allow it to make it back home from a trip to the Himalayas, the Andes, Pt.Barrow, Timbuktu etc. This one might need access to brand and model support.
This is a handsome bike, but as is it seems to be another pretender. It could achieve a similar cult following as the Tenere for those who like the look and the self image that goes along with it. Sales are what count I guess, who cares if few adventure bike purchasers actually get to go on adventure rides? As long as the riders have fun doing what their dojng, right?

Registered
With a 39" seat height it would be an "adventure" just getting a foot down! I love the "adventure bike" idea but who needs a foot of travel and ground clearance? Honestly I think manufacturers are building these bikes to win awards from industry test riders/writers who have the skill to man handle these things then when average people buy them they either sit in a garage or are ridden to within about 1/100th of their true capabilities. So my question is has anybody built the perfect "stock" adventure bike yet and if not what bike is the closest?

Tom

Registered
How about the lowly much maligned yet affordable KLX650? They seem to be the more common adventure equipped bike I see loaded down with camp gear obviously on some extended journey to somewhere, sometimes far from pavement. Some folks like certain brands for the image, others chose a brand 'cause it is the right tool to actually get the job done.

Registered
I have a 690 enduro and believe it will do anything you ask it to. Whether I am up to the task is the real question. There are a few traveling the world on ct-90s. It's not the bike its the biker. Your sense and desire for adventure is what makes for a great adventure. Nobody reads adventure stories to hear about the equipment. The adventure isn't even the places you visit. It's the challenges overcome not internal and external, the characters you meet both food and bad,the friends you make. These make for adventure. Your whole life can be an adventure if you choose to view it as such. Nobody wants to hear a boring story of someone's vacation where everything went as planned and all was posted to social media. The perfect storm now that's adventure. So this Yamaha will do as well as any other bike motorized or not, or horse,sailboat, or other object. So if you have the money and want to do it on this yamaha , go for it. Just make sure and tell us about how you survived the storm. That's what makes a bike and adventure bike. Sorry I kind of went preachy here. I wish you all great adventure s small and great near and far.

Registered
Sometimes the British get things right...then they end up selling it to India.:p

The Royal Enfiield is another of those machines that just get the job done where others may fail.

Read Only
Look at the date on that article LT: 2016.

That is a pretty concept that I'm pretty sure will never see the light of day.

That would be the one bike though to keep me from buying an 850GS, which I plan on getting next year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts