·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are Kitaco headlight including bracket, specially designed for TW

I can get Taiwanese made headlight too, price should be around $20 but no gurarantee about chrome quality though

Why do TW owners are so different from HD ones there? never heard about ppl who practiced customization to save money in Sturgis or at the Bike Week in Daytona beach

cheers

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I've nothing against you trying to make a buck, but that's the same $20 headlight, minus the chrome. In fact most of them are the same headlight with the chrome painted right over.

Any chopper shop in America has buckets of them. The better shops have actual Bates items. Neither cost as much as importing them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi

please understand that I just cannot subscribe to your theory that pretends that TW owners in the US are only poor ppl who need to make their own custom parts because they can't afford Japanese ones.

I've worked with this country for years and I got customers in rural areas from "poor" states like LA or NM, it's obvious that most of my customers are located in FL or SoCal because of the weather that allows them to ride longer than northern states TW owners but it doesn't mean they're richer or something.

They just buy Japanese parts because they like them, that's all, it's just a question of choice, nothing else, they know they can find Bates in the States.

I had neighbors who were into muscle cars from the 70's when I was in Fl and they were mostly average americans who saved some bucks to fix their SS every sunday, please don't think you need to be rich to practice cutomization in the states.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think the purpose of this forum is to inform people. The TW is often sold as a "beginner's" bike and attracts people that might not be familiar with common customization (myself included). I don't necessarily believe that something has to be expensive to be worth buying (hence me buying a TW200). It's great that you have been able to make a business selling overpriced products to otherwise uninformed people in socal, Florida or even in those "poor" states you talk about.

In this country we have a saying: "a fool and his money are soon parted" I think lizbrth is just trying to make the rest of us a little less a fool, and I for one greatly appreciate that.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I think the purpose of this forum is to inform people. The TW is often sold as a "beginner's" bike and attracts people that might not be familiar with common customization (myself included). I don't necessarily believe that something has to be expensive to be worth buying (hence me buying a TW200). It's great that you have been able to make a business selling overpriced products to otherwise uninformed people in socal, Florida or even in those "poor" states you talk about.

In this country we have a saying: "a fool and his money are soon parted" I think lizbrth is just trying to make the rest of us a little less a fool, and I for one greatly appreciate that.
That did sound bad coming from Mame Shiba but he did not mean it in that way. He was only trying to help as well as lizrdbrth. Bottom line the parts coming from Japan endure heave taxes,plus the exchange rate sucks. That is why they are sooo expensive. What lizrdbrth is saying is there is no need to buy products that you can get locally for way cheaper. There is no name brand in it really. When those first TW's were made in Japan it was all hand built made from scraps. The popularity grew and so did opportunity. Now that is when the "name brand" parts came about. Like I said Japan had a tax for everything(the raw material is taxed,business tax,city tax ect...) so after taxes you put a 20% markup and that basically is what a typical person pays for in Japan. It sounded bad to call people poor who could be or just didn't want to buy something they could get locally.

TW's are popular in japan because they are exempt from Japanese Government Inspection which are mandatory every 2 years. Any bike below 250cc is exempt from the inspection. So that is why you could go crazy customizing it with out any trouble. Imagine paying $600-$700 every other year for inspections that are crazy strict. You can fail for emissions,not having anything not stock on the bike,tinny tiny oil leak anything that would make the bike not almost perfect mechanically. Even though its known to be a beginner bike in the U.S. its still a bike. Lets not make this about what country we come from. The use of the word fool is only given by others who judge. If a person is contempt with what ever he does or buys its nobodies business. People think we are fools for riding TW's. I don't care its what I like my TW and wouldn't trade it. I am a fool

·
Registered
180 Posts
I never called you or anybody a fool, its a "saying". If I said you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink I'm not really calling anyone a horse. I never made any cracks about anybody's country either. This argument that "well I get hosed by the Japanese government and I'm just passing it along" isn't really a good one, it just reenforces the point.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
It is not my intention to bag on Mame Shiba or anyone else. This is an "is it the chicken, or the egg?" kinda thing. I'm just old enough to to realize that a Bates light was originally an American product produced in Cincinnatti, Ohio, not the other way around. These were quality items, triple-chromed or stainless steel, with stainless steel lens retaining rings and built-in high beam indicator lenses.

They were so popular that Japanese companies began producing knockoffs of the Bates design and flooding the market with them in The States and elsewhere. In those days most were made of thinner materials, had shoddy plating and lacked the stainless steel parts which identified the real thing. I'm sure this is no longer the case, and parts of equal or greater quality are now produced in Japan. It's just that their costs have now become prohibitive.

In fact many elements of what is now recognized as "Japan Style" are simply rehashed '60's and 70's American style, and based on parts which have morphed and improved from the cheap knockoffs of 40 years ago. I'm not bashing Japan Style, just pointing out that some of the parts you youngn's lust after were from here in the first place, including a lot of the more popular tail light, turn signal, handlebar and muffler designs. They're classics, and a lot of them are still produced right here by the same folks who originated them. If I happen to spot one I'll continue to point it out.

That said, if the object of your lust is TW-specific, there is something to be said for certain items which can only be sourced from Japan. Due to the Tw's unique popularirity in Japan and the resulting aftermarket which does not exist here, things like aluminum flat-tracker tanks and long swingarms built from new materials and probably lots of other Japan-only items, so save yer munny for these things instead. If vendors like Mame Shiba can facilitate importing them for less time, money and hassle than you're able to wade through yourself they deserve your buisiness for their trouble in making that happen.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi you all

please understand that price is not an issue, it's better to focus on parts, motorcycles, the way motorcycles are tuned etc... it's just a post about Kitaco parts that are available for TW's, not a survey about what would be a realistic retail price for those parts, believe me, people don't care about this

example? a Swiss customer from Zürich contacted me, asking for a Daytona Cosy flat seat, I said that I had to make an order to the factory and that it would take at least 10 or 15 days, and I said that maybe it would be more interesting for him to buy an alternative product: Kitaco plain seat, looks the same, a little cheaper and available in my warehouse... the customer replied: thank you very much but I want Daytona, ok, Daytona then...

so the guy knew there was a cheaper product but bought the other one, even if it looked more or less the same

cheers

·
Registered
663 Posts
TW Options for Dummies*:

1. You can buy and import expensive aftermarket parts from Japan.

OR

2. You can figure out how motorcycles actually work and learn that lots of parts from lots of different bikes can be bolted on or modified at a fraction of the cost.**

*By "Dummies", I do NOT mean anyone posting in this thread, a member or guest of this board, trolls, gnomes, unidentified third parties, players to be named later, their heirs, successors and assigns, whether now living or dead.

**This applies for most everything on a TW except for the tracker style extended swingarms of 5-8" in length, and even then there are other options. For example, I am running a Victory Vegas headlight and Suzuki fork boots.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
TW Options for Dummies*:

1. You can buy and import expensive aftermarket parts from Japan.

OR

2. You can figure out how motorcycles actually work and learn that lots of parts from lots of different bikes can be bolted on or modified at a fraction of the cost.**

*By "Dummies", I do NOT mean anyone posting in this thread, a member or guest of this board, trolls, gnomes, unidentified third parties, players to be named later, their heirs, successors and assigns, whether now living or dead.

**This applies for most everything on a TW except for the tracker style extended swingarms of 5-8" in length, and even then there are other options. For example, I am running a Victory Vegas headlight and Suzuki fork boots.

How about them Chargers?

Ronnydog

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
My concern with recent Japanese products is that they might be radioactive.

I don't want to turn my boys into nightlights.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts