TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell what is the difference between 200 ccm and 125 ccm engine, here in Europe TW200 is pretty rare bike, I find mostly TW125. As far as I can see, it is same bike, except engine.
I apologize for my language, English is not my native language

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Hello and welcome! It does appear to be pretty much the same bike with a smaller engine from what I've read.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hi Miro,

are you from Germany?
If yes, dann wäre deine Frage im Deutschen TW125 Forum besser aufgehoben.
Is it right, you have a TW200 from '87?

The differences between the 125 and 200 are:
- gearing/transmission
- 125 type 1 (DE01) 4 disk clutch
- 125 type 2 (DE05) 5 disk clutch, like TW200
- charging system, the 87 does have a special, 88 and all the other does have a different one
- 125 type 1 (DE01) rear brake will fit, the type 2 (DE05) not -->> bigger drum
- and of course crank, piston, cylinder, cylinder head (valve cap, rocker arms will fit)

Nearly everything else is interchangeable.

Regards,
Sebastian
TW-Parts.com
tw125.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am from Croatia and I'm not familiar with german language (only google translate), sorry.
I have '87 TW200, according to VIN it is TW200T (I have service manual from '87, too). I don't know what "T" meens.
So generally, if I wish to turn TW125 to TW200, best way is to replace complete engine?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The "T" is the marking for the year.
T => 1987
U => 1988
.... and so on.

So, you have a complete TW200, right?
Why do you want to change a TW125 to 200 cc?

If it is right, that you have a complete TW200 from 1987 and if it is in a bad condition, than please, spend some time into the bike and make it good looking.
The 1987 is the first production year if the TW200.
In 2 years it is a historical bike (30 years old). This is something very special.

Please give us more information about your ideas/plans and why.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have '87 TW200 and I know in 2 years it is historical bike. Bike is in good condition, it has insurance and registration and it is in everyday use. My plan is to work on it during next two years, so when it turns 30 it will be authentic. I bought it in working condition, but on the pics you can see how it looked like. Front forks and wheel are replaced with ones from yamaha DT (I suppose), there is no ODO too. I think the rest of it is in the original condition.

Few pics when I got it, "dalmatian look"

Attachments

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
The 1987 is the first production year if the TW200.
In 2 years it is a historical bike (30 years old). This is something very special.
What does "historical bike" mean? My guess is it becomes an antique. Does insurance or registration become cheaper?

I have two 1987 TW's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
of course, old fuel tank = expected problems: rust made 3 holes in the tank. I fixed it with epoxy metal, now it's OK

2015-04-06 13.30.52.jpg 2015-04-06 13.31.39.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What does "historical bike" mean? My guess is it becomes an antique. Does insurance or registration become cheaper?

I have two 1987 TW's.
Historical vehicle (oldtimer) is a vehicle more then 30 years old, which is preserved or rebuilt in its original state. Insurance and registration comes a little bit cheaper, but it is not intended for everyday use (only for oldtimers rallies and shows), so you may have some problems with the insurance if you have an accident and you are not participating in a rally or a show at the moment of the accident.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why do you want to change a TW125 to 200 cc?
One of my friends i looking for TW125, but he's afraid there is a little bit lack of power there, so it would be nice to convert it to TW200. That's just an idea.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
One of my friends i looking for TW125, but he's afraid there is a little bit lack of power there, so it would be nice to convert it to TW200. That's just an idea.
OK.
It's not a very hard thing, to convert a 125 to 200....250.
You just have to replace everything from the crank shaft to the top. The only problem, it's a bit expensive.
But after this conversion, the engine will be nearly like a new one.

The other, lower priced option is the 165 cc piston kit with 28 mm Mikuni flatside carb.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Let's see, difference between a TW200 and a TW125....

TW200 - TW125 = 75. The answer is 75!

First one here with the right answer, what'd I win???:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let's see, difference between a TW200 and a TW125....

TW200 - TW125 = 75. The answer is 75!

First one here with the right answer, what'd I win???:D
So, if I want to convert TW125 to TW200, I only have to add 75! The answer was wright in front of my nose :D:D:D

For the right answer, you win :eek:ccasion14:. Just come to Croatia (country with nice people and landscapes, clean sea and rivers and bad politicians)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
So, if I want to convert TW125 to TW200, I only have to add 75! The answer was wright in front of my nose :D:D:D

For the right answer, you win :eek:ccasion14:. Just come to Croatia (country with nice people and landscapes, clean sea and rivers and bad politicians)
What part of America is Croatia in????:icon_scratch:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts