TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Awhile back I had floated out some of the preliminary photos of the prototype version of some of the "quick release" seat bolts I had come up with. Anyhow....recently finished up a batch of them, and figured I'd float these out to the TW200 Forum folks for 'first dibs' so to speak. Also, in addition to some introductory pricing that we are currently running on them I am also offering free shipping within the United States to members of the TW200 Forum on these as well. Ordering options are currently via website (link below), and at checkout if you use the coupon/discount code "TW200FORUM" the free shipping will be applied through the end of the calendar year (you will just need to select the Country as "United States" in the dropdown before applying the coupon code FYI). I can also do a custom PayPal direct-purchase link if folks would rather do that as well just let me know.

These are a one-piece solid design, cut on a CNC Lathe from 304 annealed stainless steel so they will not rust or corrode. The seat bolts also feature a knurled end for ease of threading the bolts in-or-out by hand, and also have a 6-point wrench knockout that fits a standard 10mm wrench to tighten/loosen - but made the knockout area large enough to accept an adjustable wrench, or pliers in a pinch for tightening or loosening the seat bolts. The factory recessed bolts are difficult to access, and also make any "field repairs" to the battery or getting under the seat very difficult....our design allows better/easier/quicker access with a variety of tool options.

I'm attaching a few photos of the units here below, and more available on the link as follows (as well as options for purchasing/etc):

If folks have any questions at all just let me know!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Two things I really don't like about TW's are the seat bolts. So I just ordered a set of these guys, and I'll be sure to use some anti-seize. Thanks for coming up with a better way!
Yep, agree 100%....that's why I had to come up with a bit more of a practical solution - I've been carrying tools on the TW, but not a ratchet with a 10mm deep socket (and didn't want to add one more thing into my already packed tool kit). Being "on the road" or "in the wild" access is now MUCH easier, but even just tinkering in the garage it's nice to just grab a 10mm or adjustable wrench and have the seat off in seconds.

Thanks for your order, ships out today....should be in your hands soon!

Registered
Put em' on today, & it's a great way to r&r these damn seat bolts! Stainless is heavy, but I can live with it! Was thinking of drilling a few holes just cuz. Thanks for the new system nathanwind!

Registered
Here鈥檚 the direction I went. No tools required. Just a 1/4鈥 bolt with the head cut off and drilled to accept a pin. The pin has a short piece of high tension line attached to the seat strap bolt location to keep from possible loss. It also allows you to pull the pin and just drop it without fear of losing it. Heavy 100 lb braided fishing line would do the trick. The attached line also make for a finger hold when you want to pull the pin. The seat does not rattle or move at all. And it鈥檚 cheap!

Registered
Put em' on today, & it's a great way to r&r these damn seat bolts! Stainless is heavy, but I can live with it! Was thinking of drilling a few holes just cuz. Thanks for the new system nathanwind!
And I thought I was the only one concerned about weight of the T-Dub!
I've caught some grief about that, but I've lightened my bike by 25 lbs. with a little more to go.
On a small, light bike like the T-Dub you can really feel a 25 lb. difference in handling & balance. And when dragging it out of the mud!
No, I'm not trying to "build a racer", but the principles & rewards are the same...

This is an "elegant" and bulletproof system for sure (and I'm just queer for stainless steel!), but I guess I'll stick with my lighter & cheaper alternate approach. There are a number of other options here on the Forum.
And I will be adding the tethers, I'm a belt & suspenders guy!

Registered
And I thought I was the only one concerned about weight of the T-Dub!
I've caught some grief about that, but I've lightened my bike by 25 lbs. with a little more to go.
On a small, light bike like the T-Dub you can really feel a 25 lb. difference in handling & balance. And when dragging it out of the mud!
No, I'm not trying to "build a racer", but the principles & rewards are the same...

This is an "elegant" and bulletproof system for sure (and I'm just queer for stainless steel!), but I guess I'll stick with my lighter & cheaper alternate approach. There are a number of other options here on the Forum.
And I will be adding the tethers, I'm a belt & suspenders guy!

Registered
You are not the only one! You might laugh at what I've done to my 2020. Maybe not. Light where it really matters, and I would buy hollow axles if they were available. Principles & rewards are the same.

Registered
"If it breaks, make it stronger.
If it doesn't break, make it lighter."
- Ed Mabry (my Land Speed Racing mentor & friend)

What have you done to lighten your T-Dubb?
Why did you do it?

Registered
Lose weight fatties. That's the best way to lighten the bike.
Hey, Smart Ass...guess what?
I've lost 26 Lbs. since I put the bike on a diet. :giggle:

Registered
"If it breaks, make it stronger.
If it doesn't break, make it lighter."
- Ed Mabry (my Land Speed Racing mentor & friend)

What have you done to lighten your T-Dubb?
Why did you do it?
Took of lots of stuff that's heavy, like pass.pegs & mounts. Added Flo footpegs to Procycle mounts, Shorai Battery, changed out blinkers with small & light, aluminum bars, aluminum sprocket w/Ti hardware, replaced fork bellows w/seal savers, Ti bolts, washers, nuts on clamps, rotor, caliper mount, everything on front end, including switches, cable guides, here & there on the bike including all exhaust bolts/nuts. On swingarm where possible. Sprocket guard, chain guard, I still have some more to add. Removed helmet lock & that's where I put the hour meter. Just been dickin' with this thing since I got it. Suspension has been totally gone thru by Racetech. Springs F&R, emulators, different seal head on the shock, etc.. Now the bike has damping, & rides higher in the stroke. I've done all kinds of stuff to it, & it's better every ride. I'm havin' fun. It's jetted great, and I'm sure I'll remember more mods as soon as I make this post.

Registered
Cool, PJ...
Where are you getting your Ti bits?
Somebody gave me a Ti conversion kit for my Triumph 1050 Speed Triple. There were
some left but none that will work on the T-Dubby, dammit.
Looks like we're doing many of the same things. My two big weight savers were the FMF can and the Lithium Ion battery. A bit over 10 lbs. for the two.
Many of the other things you've done, always lookin' for more!
Isn't that RaceTech suspension great?

Registered
Cool, PJ...
Where are you getting your Ti bits?
Somebody gave me a Ti conversion kit for my Triumph 1050 Speed Triple. There were
some left but none that will work on the T-Dubby, dammit.
Looks like we're doing many of the same things. My two big weight savers were the FMF can and the Lithium Ion battery. A bit over 10 lbs. for the two.
Many of the other things you've done, always lookin' for more!
Isn't that RaceTech suspension great?
What I don't have laying around, I buy from Probolt USA. Quick shipping, & great to work with. Thought about a different can, but I'm into quiet, so, maybe later. I'm still working on gettin' this lil girl lighter, but now it'll be more nip/tuck as the main heavy stuff was ez to eliminate.The whole oil cooler I put on is lighter than the Komifornia canister, & it was installed using Ti also.Yesterday I installed a new front tire, and heavy tube, so that kinda backtracked on me as far as weight. Went with a Kenda Equilibrium that specs say is 13 lbs., but I have it at 17.2 lbs. So that kinda hurt my goal!
Yes, the suspension is about as good as it's gunna get IMO. I don't pound this thing. I have other bikes for that. But it does make for longer, more comfortable rides, as does my seat I had modded by Fisher Seats. That thing came out extra fine!! So basically, my lil tote-goat is almost where I want it to be. I have been staring at this thing trying to figure out a plan for air scoops at the cylinder. How to form/mount. While I was staring, I removed all the anti-fin rattle rubber pucks. That in itself should help with cooling some. Working...

Registered
Heavy tires...total unsprung weight. Too bad.
Probolt is who gifted me with Ti fasteners for my Speed Triple.
Do you know the total weight savings from your project?

Geeze...I thought I was anal about my bikes!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts