TW200 Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Are they long enough to gouge the tires on sharp bumps or hard, flat landings?
And bend or strip the bolts or threads?
Not saying they would...just askin'.
They sure are purdy! :unsure:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ive been running with no seat bolts for like the last 6 years and have yet to have any issue or problem. Its another sensible option to consider. Seat stays in place on its own and I never looked back

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
Never had a problem getting a 10mm ring spanner over the stock bolts myself, and that’s through the Manrack mounting plate – some have fun with Velcro (just remember to tie the seat down on the trailer) – but just in case you only have one minute to complete the task (and have run out of Velcro), the “quick release” is an “option”

Fair play to the guy who came up with them, and fair play to Fred, who pointed out that they are “possibly” not as “quick” as they purport to be, just as tricky to torque, and then there’s the length to consider – easy on the fingers, not so much on the rear tire

But what surprises me the most, is that we end up arguing over a pair of seat bolts, when it is clear that everyone has their preferences as to how “seriously” they take this – while Tiny-Wheel’s comment (post #44) just about sums up how “critical” this component is

The real issue here, surely, should be how many colours do they come in ?

We should get the TW’s lined up, start the stop watch, and time each other as we scramble to “release our seats” – I may well come last (the jury is out on that one), but I at least will have the moral victory – simply because I do not give a flying fart that it takes me two minutes longer to do it the conventional way

After all, it’s not like you have the screaming shits and are headed to the woods before all hell lets loose out of your arse

But on an (equally) salient note – try not to let this thread descend into argument please – as my favourite line by Yul Brynner in the film Attila the Hun goes, “We have better things to do than carry horses around the house” ……

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Ive been running with no seat bolts for like the last 6 years and have yet to have any issue or problem. Its another sensible option to consider. Seat stays in place on its own and I never looked back

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk
Did you use some Velcro?

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
"Seat stays in place on its own and I never looked back" -Only time to look back with no seat bolts is when transporting bike. With no one sitting on the seat one of our guys hauling his TW from British Columbia had his seat blow away. Had he looked back in time he might have seen it blow off and been able to retrieve it. Would have made things a bit more comfortable for his week's riding at Moab.
icon_thumbright.gif

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
"Seat stays in place on its own and I never looked back" -Only time to look back with no seat bolts is when transporting bike. With no one sitting on the seat one of our guys hauling his TW from British Columbia had his seat blow away. Had he looked back in time he might have seen it blow off and been able to retrieve it. Would have made things a bit more comfortable for his week's riding at Moab. View attachment 202827
I remember that Fred. I think he used the velcro mod and it didn't work. I was gonna use velcro myself to hold the seat down until he showed up to tell his tale.

Because I'm lazy, I rode for many years without the seat bolts. When in transit I strapped it down with a bungee strap. The seat never popped off in a crash and I have no idea why not because Lord knows I crash...a lot.

However, nowadays, because I'm lazy, I only put 1 seat bolt-on. I have no reasonable explanation as to why I went back to somewhat securing the seat down.

I've always been interested in the quick seat bolt release mods. But because I'm lazy, I've never gotten around to doing it. Maybe this partially explains using only 1 seat bolt but doesn't explain using a bungee because that is even lazier...err I mean quicker. hahaha.

If I'm gonna use even 1 bolt to secure the seat, I like the idea of the long seat bolt depicted in this thread. It may not be quicker, quickest or even laziest but it looks like I can get a socket on it better.

We'll see if I break out of my lazy streak this next riding season. Maybe, just maybe! 😄

·
Registered
84 Posts
Awhile back I had floated out some of the preliminary photos of the prototype version of some of the "quick release" seat bolts I had come up with. Anyhow....recently finished up a batch of them, and figured I'd float these out to the TW200 Forum folks for 'first dibs' so to speak. Also, in addition to some introductory pricing that we are currently running on them I am also offering free shipping within the United States to members of the TW200 Forum on these as well. Ordering options are currently via website (link below), and at checkout if you use the coupon/discount code "TW200FORUM" the free shipping will be applied through the end of the calendar year (you will just need to select the Country as "United States" in the dropdown before applying the coupon code FYI). I can also do a custom PayPal direct-purchase link if folks would rather do that as well just let me know.

These are a one-piece solid design, cut on a CNC Lathe from 304 annealed stainless steel so they will not rust or corrode. The seat bolts also feature a knurled end for ease of threading the bolts in-or-out by hand, and also have a 6-point wrench knockout that fits a standard 10mm wrench to tighten/loosen - but made the knockout area large enough to accept an adjustable wrench, or pliers in a pinch for tightening or loosening the seat bolts. The factory recessed bolts are difficult to access, and also make any "field repairs" to the battery or getting under the seat very difficult....our design allows better/easier/quicker access with a variety of tool options.

I'm attaching a few photos of the units here below, and more available on the link as follows (as well as options for purchasing/etc):

If folks have any questions at all just let me know!

View attachment 202523 View attachment 202524 View attachment 202525

View attachment 202526 View attachment 202527 View attachment 202528

View attachment 202529 View attachment 202530

View attachment 202531 View attachment 202532 The
yeah they are nice , I got my fathers friend to make a similar design to yours but were of the spec dimensions and design of “ mules nuts “from old forum , they were made from surgical stainless steel from the frames that are used when people have pins put into there legs after broken bones have been re pinned back together , he got the materials from a hospital where he worked , he was a well respected orthopaedic surgeon , who in his spare time was pretty much a frustrated engineer in reality , in his opinion , something could always be made or improved on no matter what he was told , sadly he is no longer with us, he liked a challenge and was willing to help others ,

41 - 50 of 50 Posts