TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the Yamaha dealer's for a part the other day and a bike caught my eye, a v star 250. while I was waiting for the part I went over and had a closer look and made the mistake of sitting on it. now it is stuck in my head. I was wondering if anyone here has had any hands on with this bike and can share some facts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
YES!! I had one of those little beauties just a couple of years ago! It was fun fun fun, especially if you like bikes like the TW, you can appreciate it that much more! I KICK myself hard for selling it, like the TW, it's lot's of fun, highly modifiable, & cheap to keep! m.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I never rode two-up on it, but I think it would be ok for "short" jaunts, as there is barely a passenger seat there!

On the highway it was great, fun on the paved back roads too! It had good power for a 250, & I never had a single mechanical problem with it! Smooth runner, easy handling, and I'd take another one in a hot minute! Ouch, kicked myself again!

Someday I'd like to get another, it very much fit my riding likes & style! Maybe get a used one, custom paint, & chrome spoke wheels! :cool: m.

·
Super Moderator
18,069 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Big Time Congratulation's grewen!!! THAT is one beautiful bike!! I'm very pleased you find it a joy to ride, it's an amazing bike for a 250! Beautiful paint job, much nicer than the stock white! Damn it!! I really wish I had kept mine... But me sniveling is not what this is about, it's all about giving a big thumbs up on your choice of a cool bike!! :icon_thumright::icon_thumleft: :cool: m.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
thanks M. I like the color you had better, but this is much better than the white! did you keep the stock seat? mine needs some changes, it seems a little hard on my back

·
Registered
762 Posts
I was in the Yamaha dealer's for a part the other day and a bike caught my eye, a v star 250. while I was waiting for the part I went over and had a closer look and made the mistake of sitting on it. now it is stuck in my head. I was wondering if anyone here has had any hands on with this bike and can share some facts
Yes. It was what I re-learned to ride on, when I got back into it.

A couple of cautions. Being a cruiser-style machine, it's less forgiving in terms of fitment. It's sized for a smaller Asian frame and in America it's best for a female rider. If you are around six-foot you'll want forward controls. UNLIKE an upright riding position, you're less likely to adapt over time. Weight is on your tailbone and your knees will be cocked. Give you an example: I'm six-two and while I not only fit on a TW with standard saddle, I fit well and like it...on the V-Star my body was screaming after 45 minutes. And I was eight years younger, then.

Power is not there. You can expect it to top out at about 70; maybe more with a windshield.

The thing is INSANELY economical. It will get 75-80 mpg. If we have another contrived gas shortage, that would be the way to ride through it.

The engine is really a jewel, although a bit undersized. The vee-layout in a smaller displacement makes for a relatively-smooth ride and power delivery. It's a shame Yamaha never put that mill in a stretched frame or redesigned the ergos on it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
thanks M. I like the color you had better, but this is much better than the white! did you keep the stock seat? mine needs some changes, it seems a little hard on my back
I had considered going to a different seat, & would have if I had kept it. I never considered the bike as a loooong distance ride, but 50-60 miles & a break / rest / stretch felt about right. With a few changes / goodies, most anyone can make it their own! :cool: m.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Saw one of these on cl when I was searching for my tw, was less then 2k and was practically new. Was real tempted but wanted something with a standard riding position. Congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm more impressed with this bike every time I take it for a ride. even with trying to follow yamaha's brake in suggestions and entering the four lanes with 1/2 throttle or less, she was up to 60 mph in no time. she got 104 mpg ( imperial gal) on my first fill up ( yes!!) the seat is going to get some reshaping as it does bother the old tail bone and the shifter needs some adjusting as I don't think I could ride her with boots on, but I love her all ready. I thought the tw200 was going to get a big brother, but instead he got a little sister, go figure

1 - 16 of 16 Posts