TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm pretty sure I will be getting a cruiser style bike for next season. The ones that are tempting me are as the title states vstar 250, or 650, and the suzuki s40. Though of late the s40 is becoming less of a favorite choice.

I'm not a big guy, 5'2 150lbs. So I don't need a big bike. That said when I'm on the hwy I'd like to be able to pass vehicles when needed without too much strain on the bike. From what I've read on a few reviews around the web the 250 can do 85mph top speed. Now if this is true it is more than enough power for me.

I guess what throws me off is when I read reviews on other bikes like the 650 vstar, or the s40 (650cc) and they state that these bikes aren't great for the hwy speeds.

So anyone here had any experience with the virago, or the vstar 250 or even the 650?

thanks for reading

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Tourist, I'm no expert but my alternative cruiser is the Kawasaki EN500. The reviews claim it will outdo the Yamaha 650s, and other of that general size range. If I had to point out potential negatives, its not as heavy or big as the larger bikes but that should not be a problem for your body size (nor is it for mine and I'm 6'), and secondly there are not a lot of "trick" aftermarket gadgets for it (yes windshields, saddlebags, pax seatbars, and bag supports, but no fairings or super chrome addons. We are not talking 85 mph, that thing will run 110 plus (faster than I'll ever ride it). Cost wise its not an expensive bike and like the tw200 has stayed amazingly the same over more than a decade (but was discontinued this years (in the USA at least), but they are available on the used market. Here's mine and it meets all of my needs as a highway bike.

And before the hwy bars/engine guard.

50 mph with a 150 mile range - its a fun ride. Tom

·
Registered
572 Posts
For someone of your stature; that 250 looks pretty appealing, and as you already know; Yamaha makes a good product. That little twin 250 will have plenty of go in it. Think of it as two 125's strapped together. Plus; there's always enhancements you can make to it for even more grunt. I've had a good number of big bike's; even a couple of sportsters; but I always go back to the smaller, lightweight bikes. They are just more suitable for lightweight riders. This is of course just my opinion.

Ride on.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I nearly bought a V-Star 250 a couple weeks ago. Found a low mileage one at a good price. The wife thought that I had enough bikes at the moment.

I had a V-Star 650 Classic 7 or 8 years ago. I enjoyed it a lot. It was all I needed for around town. On the interstate, it left me wanting a bit more power.

I kept it a little over a year, when I sold it and got an 1100cc Honda Shadow, which had enough power for the interstate highways. Then the Honda went, and I got involved with BMWs and Triumphs......

I still catch myself "eyeing" V-Star 650s when I see one.

Jb

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I had a 2009 VStar 250, I sold it back in June, & I've been kicking myself ever since!! I'm right at 6', and 220 lbs. That little bike had no problems hauling my fat gut around. I could do 70 all day long. And if I had been smart enough to keep it, I would have changed the sprockets & chain to get a little more speed out of it. When I bought it a little over a year ago, it was immaculate, with only 29 miles on it! (Yes, 29 miles.) I really liked & miss the bike, I bet you would like the bike if you got to ride one. Remember, stock sprockets are for beginner riders, & if you changed them out, you'll be going pretty much as fast as you want to go. I was looking at a Tai Heist, until I found the VStar, WWAAAAYYYY better bike by a long shot. m.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a 2009 VStar 250, I sold it back in June, & I've been kicking myself ever since!! I'm right at 6', and 220 lbs. That little bike had no problems hauling my fat gut around. I could do 70 all day long. And if I had been smart enough to keep it, I would have changed the sprockets & chain to get a little more speed out of it. When I bought it a little over a year ago, it was immaculate, with only 29 miles on it! (Yes, 29 miles.) I really liked & miss the bike, I bet you would like the bike if you got to ride one. Remember, stock sprockets are for beginner riders, & if you changed them out, you'll be going pretty much as fast as you want to go. I was looking at a Tai Heist, until I found the VStar, WWAAAAYYYY better bike by a long shot. m.

Thanks for the input. I guess I will do some more research and soul searching till next season. Key factors in my decision by then will be, price, insurance cost, capability , how the bike fits me, etc.

Right now one of the things I like about the 650 is the shaft drive. Not having to adjust the chain now and then would be sweet.

I see both bikes at reasonable prices used averaging about $1000. more for the 650.

Next season I want to do a lot more camping with the bike. The places I want to go to are anywhere from 3 to 5 hours away by interstate type hwys. Some even 12 hours away.

Anyway thanks again to everyone for your input. This forum really is one of the best

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the input. I guess I will do some more research and soul searching till next season. Key factors in my decision by then will be, price, insurance cost, capability , how the bike fits me, etc.

Right now one of the things I like about the 650 is the shaft drive. Not having to adjust the chain now and then would be sweet.

I see both bikes at reasonable prices used averaging about $1000. more for the 650.

Next season I want to do a lot more camping with the bike. The places I want to go to are anywhere from 3 to 5 hours away by interstate type hwys. Some even 12 hours away.

Anyway thanks again to everyone for your input. This forum really is one of the best

If you have ANY prospects for EVER hauling a passenger, REALLY loading gear for camping, or doing any LONG distance riding, I recommend bigger than 250. There are many "middle-weights" cruisers, with low seat heights, out there, and with decent pricing. You'll never regret having more room and more power. You will regret having buying too small. Like buying a car without AC. Might not use it a lot, but nice to have when you want it! And I am a big fan of the shaft drives.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have ANY prospects for EVER hauling a passenger, REALLY loading gear for camping, or doing any LONG distance riding, I recommend bigger than 250. There are many "middle-weights" cruisers, with low seat heights, out there, and with decent pricing. You'll never regret having more room and more power. You will regret having buying too small. Like buying a car without AC. Might not use it a lot, but nice to have when you want it! And I am a big fan of the shaft drives.

I hear you, and I am really leaning toward the 650 vstar at this point. The 250 appeal to me is it being nimble like the tdub

And back in the day I did buy that damn mustang without AC what a mistake!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Taking trips with gear, etc.? You'll want the 650. Just scooch'n around, the 250's great.

The nice thing about either is the used price, & the quality of bike you get for it. There are lots of VSTAR 650's for sale out there, so when you're ready, take your time & shop around. m.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The best you've rode is the best you'll know. The 250 will do what you want, but the difference is like Geo or a Ferrari. The 650 will do it without you ever having the slightest idea that it might be rough on the motor. I've had the TW, a 400 Honda, a 650 cruiser and now I'm on a 750, and I can only tell you to try out what you're looking at in the worst possible riding conditions you might find yourself in. If having to make a pass at 70mph is the worst, then go do it. Once I got the 400, with a top speed knocking on 120mph, I figured there's no possible way a person really needs anything larger, and I still don't know if many people do, but comfort most certainly goes way up, and thus the distances you can cover, as your displacement increases. Note that this applies to touring only. I'd still rather flog a little 2 stroke on an intense trail than anything over 250cc, but better riders can. And better riders can tour vast distances on tiny machines. I don't think that deletes the fact that the same rider will last longer on something more suited for it.

The only issue is the power:weight thing, especially with cruisers. As I said, the 250 will do it, and be lighter doing it, and it may have a motor that can stand up to that for years (a la the TW) but it will likely never be as comfortable as doing it on a 650. If you can manage the weight of the 650, I'd recommend it. If you're never hitting a freeway or just need a runabout, a 250 is a better tool for the job. After many hours with a smaller bike pushed to its limits, the bike may recover better than you. Metal doesn't heal much, but it doesn't break as often either. I know climbing off a cramped bike after driving all night really hurts the joints, more so when it's a buzzy little thing. There are always countermeasures, but there's always less need for countermeasures if you're on something that was built for the situation.

People go for displacement for more than just a bigger number and an ego boost sometimes. Sometimes it's to cover up deficiencies in their riding. All the ease of a larger bike on open road makes up for being an incapable operator that can't wring the most out of a smaller bike. However, once you are capable, you can be more, uh, capable as displacement rises, with a learning curve thrown in.

And shaft drive is definitely nice for touring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts