TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a neighbor selling a 1983 XT200 for $200 or best offer. Here is her listing;
1983 Yamaha xt200 street legal dirt bike garaged not currently running started fixing some new parts no time to fix no title $200 obo 916-832-8401
I've never known Yamaha made a XT200. Anyone interested in it, I'd be willing to go check it out and even pick it up and hold it for you.

And a photo;
(I really like the white seat and custom bend brake lever!)

Here is a link to it's specs;
Yamaha XT200

Registered
I saw it and it鈥檚 a good price even for a parts bike but I don鈥檛 need it.

I do wonder if the kick starter parts would work on a TW? $200 might be worth it for a forum member who needs a kicker for their TW.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking; good price but I don't NEED it. Would be nice to have 18" rear/21" front tire though...

Maybe I'll offer a hundred. It's from an estate sale. OBO and all that.

Registered
lots of that early XT stuff interchanges with TW kickers and the kick arm is of good value for an XT225 kicker conversion probly worth $80 just for the kick arm

from what I can see that bike looks pretty darn good

I have a brake lever like that from a TW and I kept it cuz it felt great !

if that tank is as clean as it looks thats a very rare find prolly worth $300 to $400 on feebay

Registered
How come the XT200 had a claimed 18 hp and a 216 dry weight while our porky TW200s are lucky to get credited with 13 hp on a good day?
They must have had higher performance advertisers back in the early 80's.

Registered
How come the XT200 had a claimed 18 hp and a 216 dry weight while our porky TW200s are lucky to get credited with 13 hp on a good day?
They must have had higher performance advertisers back in the early 80's.

"higher performance advertisers back in the early 80's"

This has to be the case Fred because I can tell you from first hand knowledge, my XT200 don't go up the hill or on the highway any faster or better than the TW and that with being about 50 lbs. less in weight than the TW. However, maybe because of it's age a few of those horses got lost or were sent out to pasture and all I have is the old horses.:p

Note: I also see on the link above it mentions having an 18" rear tire rim. I don't think this is true because mine has a 17" rear rim and this is even the same size (17") listed on the parts fiche at RockyMtnATV/Motorcycle. That's not to say some XT's of various years don't have an 18" rim but on the 1983 I'm pretty positive it's only a 17". Not a huge deal either way as there ain't a ton of these old vintage XT200's around and some of those that are don't run. Rumor has it the XT200's had a similar CDI issue as we know the 1987 TW's can.

Registered
Thanks for the 35,000th "Like" Admiral!
Does that mean I spend too much time on this forum? :p
Those 80's advertising types must have drank some pretty high octane coffee to come up with some of their marketing hype since I don't think the way measuring horsepower has changed much. Not likely that the disparity is due to reporting HP at the rear wheel vs. HP at the crank.

As far as rim size goes it is entirely possible a previous owner hot rodded the wheel set in the old MX vs. Enduro unsprung weight and tire options debate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts