TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I would get a used Jeep Rubicon two door and have more fun.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Of course there are lots of alternative ways to have fun with spent money, but I for one really like this thing, a lot! Sure you can go used and custom-built on a light pickup or whatever... But then you are getting...a) used, and b) custom (which potentially means headaches later on). I like that you can buy one of these, load it onto a trailer, and go race in Baja. That's legit. One aspect of this vehicle that I REALLY like is the real, five speed manual gearbox. That is totally bad ass in one of these IMO! I also like that, even though it's clearly designed for high speed desert stuff, they still built in 4wd locking diffs, so that you can do the rock crawling thing, too. The motor is sweet too. From what I understand (haven't really looked into it, so this could be rumor), it's basically a big-bore R1 motor with one cylinder chopped off; perfect setup for the application! For sure I could see myself buying one of these...after about 6 motorcycles, at least one rock crawler/camp Jeep, a nice heavy duty pickup truck, and an econobox commuter. That might make it sound like I'm not interested. But if you know me, then you know I'll have scores of toys like this if I ever strike it rich. So being in the top ten means a lot! :cool:

Right now I think it's totally awesome, but if something like this were to follow a path akin to that of vehicles like the Ariel Atom/KTM crossbow... Just imagine a 50 state street legal YXZ 1000!

·
Registered
299 Posts
...I like that you can buy one of these, load it onto a trailer, and go race in Baja. That's legit. One aspect of this vehicle that I REALLY like is the real, five speed manual gearbox. That is totally bad ass in one of these IMO! I also like that, even though it's clearly designed for high speed desert stuff, they still built in 4wd locking diffs, so that you can do the rock crawling thing, too. The motor is sweet too...
+1

They highlighted this in my local newspaper recently. Manual 5-speed with foot clutch! Just looking at the 3-cylinder engine with tuned equal length exhaust got my dune running days flashing through my head. Sweet!

:icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I think one would get to meet many a law enforcement personnel on a cross country drive even if it was plated. Side by sides are common on the public roads around Moab and I see many here on back roads where there is little if any regulatory enforcement.
Nicely evolved machine, these things are getting quite sophisticated.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I wonder how the YXZ1000R would do under similar circumstances compared to these two options other than needing a bigger winch:). That is pretty extreme quad bogging. In a side by side you are somewhat safely cocooned with superior power, comfort and suspension but you can't do the weight shifting possible with a quad. What do you quad guys say?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I look at this and think Wow that looks like a kick. But as I was riding today I started thinking about how often I stand up on my pegs to save my back the jolt of a rough road. This thing looks like it has great suspension, but if you watch the people inside you can see they are still taking some hits. Like most 50+ guys I have a few disks that might be unhappy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts