TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new 2018, I will change the oil at 100-300 & 600 as recommended by many members here. My closest Yamaha dealer is quite a drive and I was wondering if there is much difference between YAMALUBE and a major brand 10-40 motorcycle oil that I can get at Autozone or Riley’s. Thank you

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Brand new 2018, I will change the oil at 100-300 & 600 as recommended by many members here. My closest Yamaha dealer is quite a drive and I was wondering if there is much difference between YAMALUBE and a major brand 10-40 motorcycle oil that I can get at Autozone or Riley’s. Thank you
Short answer. No discernible difference. Just make sure whatever you choose is compatible with a wet clutch.

Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
My O'Riley's has this :

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-4t-motorcycle-oil

You can't go wrong.

Hopefully you have a 6 sided 19mm socket.
You may need to take off the skid plate to get the proper angle . Extensions tend to slip off.
After you break the bolt free the first time, only tighten it about 80% and you'll be able to do it without taking off the skid plate and you can use an extension.

Text me if you or the bolt gets stuck.

·
Super Moderator
18,122 Posts
I noticed a difference going to synthetic.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Don’t listen to Tom he’s full of you know what. Lol. Stick with Yamalube.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Don’t listen to Tom he’s full of you know what. Lol. Stick with Yamalube.
I just got off the phone with Rick "Top Predator" and he is currently compiling an extensive list of differences between Yamalube and your local dino oil. We all look forward to reading his evaluation!

Tic toc, tic toc, tic toc..............................

Tom

Reactions: TopPredator and Mel

·
Super Moderator
18,122 Posts
I'd wait until you have more miles on it. Typically 1500 or 2000 miles. Use regular dina until then.
Thank you. I will switch to synthetic after the 600 mi. change. Any suggestions for a conventional motorcycle oil for wet clutch?

Reactions: El Chivo and Ken

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I just got off the phone with Rick "Top Predator" and he is currently compiling an extensive list of differences between Yamalube and your local dino oil. We all look forward to reading his evaluation!

Tic toc, tic toc, tic toc..............................

Tom
It’s all about the clutch because my bikes shift better with Yamalube. I would have gone Synthetic a long time ago but my 06 has a lower base gasket leak.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'm with LT. 1,500 minimum before going full synthetic. It's an old school motor and I'm an old school mechanic. :p

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mobil 1 makes oil specifically for bikes with wet clutch. 20/50 for race bikes and a 10/40 for v twins. Have used both with great results, use the 20/50 most of the time. Also have seen Amsoil for bikes on the shelf.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It’s all about the clutch because my bikes shift better with Yamalube. I would have gone Synthetic a long time ago but my 06 has a lower base gasket leak.
I have about 2700 miles on my 2017 TW and have been using Yamalube since the bike was new so I have nothing to compare it to, BUT, I am puzzled by all the complaints I read here about the shifting on the TW. Mine shifts as well as other bikes I have ridden. I am still considering synthetic just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
Torco started manufacturing Yamalube in 1973 I believe and still supplies for Southeast Asia, Mexico and South American markets. In recent years Canadian Yamalube is sourced from Imperial Oil Company (ESSO) and US markets get their Yamalube bottled by CITGO.
Yamaha still manufactures some of their guitars but by and large they are more of an assembler rather than a manufacturer counting on global jobbers to feed just-in-time parts to wide spread assembling plants in the modern globalized corporate model. Jobbers must meet cost and quality requirements for contract renewal but unfortunately sometimes mistakes happen and we still occasionally find 2-hole oil filters rather than the required 4-hole filters in the supply stream.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
..... BUT, I am puzzled by all the complaints I read here about the shifting on the TW. Mine shifts as well as other bikes I have ridden.......
Me too. I've never had much trouble with hard shifting on either the 2010 or the 2018 from 0 miles onward. The difference in shifting with full syn is subtle, except for cold starts. With it, there is considerably less tendency for the bike to dart forward with the clutch pulled when shifting into first. On both bikes I changed at 1,500 miles and consider the slight extra cost over the life of the bike well worth it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have always stuck with OEM oils in all my bikes and when i bought my 2019 i worked a deal with the parts department to sell me a case of yamalube for $44 (we bought 3 Tdubbs that day so that should be enough for a year)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts