TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While it was 27* here this morning in Philadelphia Pa, Sunday, April the 10th,
I was on my way to the opening day of a local flea market and saw a yard sale on my way,
Heres what I got from the yard sale,
Kayak is for the wife, Its an 8' and it will fit in the wagon which is easier for her than putting on a roof and strapping down,
And a bunch of garden ornaments, All original and old,
Im not sure if the Lion is older, But maybe someone here will know,
And the Bleeding heart was a gift,
kayak.jpg king Inky.jpg take.jpg
I made it to the Flea and came back for the items I bought at the yard sale as the kayak took up a lot of space,
I managed to buy a LOT of pipe wrenches and car specific tools will take to work and sell to the guys for cheap.
They're in the car till tomorrow morning,

Wondering,
Can someone make a TW200 LAWN ORNAMENT out of CEMENT?
I think I want one in my garden, Maybe 1/4 scale?
Anyone else a yard sale junkie?
Peter B

·
Registered
928 Posts
What an excellent haul! My Grandma and I used to go to yard sales on the weekends, but the house started to look like a horder's paradise, so after she passed away, I just quit going. It's taken a while to get rid of most of the 'stuff', but I do enjoy just looking now and then.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Smitty, how you can sneak all those bikes home without your wife finding out, is beyond me... How many does this make now? ;):D

I just got back from a week at the Charlotte Auto Fair. Damn near the largest swap meet anywhere.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I did not buy any bikes this trip. I did however, sell the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. My 78 Sachs Westlake moped has moved on.
I am drowning in seller's remorse.

Why did I do it? Let's just say there was moonshine involved.
I am, at times, an idiot.

I feel like one of my children has passed.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I did not buy any bikes this trip. I did however, sell the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. My 78 Sachs Westlake moped has moved on.
I am drowning in seller's remorse.

Why did I do it? Let's just say there was moonshine involved.
I am, at times, an idiot.

I feel like one of my children has passed.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

well, Al. thank goodness it wasn't the tw or ct

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Smitty:
"...I feel like one of my children has passed..."

That's OK, I'll send you one of mine...you send me your moonshine.
A good jar of 'shine is getting hard to find!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Guilty! I have a very hard time passing by a yard or garage sale. As long as there is interesting stuff on display, Not Kids toys and clothing, I will always stop and take a look see. I don't often buy anything but I always ask if there are some of the things I actively search for, hunting and fishing gear, motorcycles, vintage stereo stuff and I always come up with something that was not actually in the sale itself. Looking through old tool boxes is a fun and worthy practice if you know what to look for and can get it cheap, snap on wrenches and sockets at 50 cents each is a bargain any day. Estate sales by family members of deceased loved ones where they are just looking to dump the stuff before they bring in a dumpster are my favorites. Having buried every one of my older family members it is amazing just how much crap most people amass over a lifetime that no one in the family has any use at all for. My own estate sale will be a Hoot for those like me and many here who are into the things we do. I have a serious case of remorse when ever I am on a schedule and have to pass by what appears to be a real treasure hunt.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Yard Sales are fun but trash picking is better! We have some upscale places around here and some of the stuff people throw away is unreal.Lawn mowers,tool boxes with tools,wheel barrows,etc. I've gotten a lot of nice stuff for free.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yard Sales are fun but trash picking is better! We have some upscale places around here and some of the stuff people throw away is unreal.Lawn mowers,tool boxes with tools,wheel barrows,etc. I've gotten a lot of nice stuff for free.
My grandparents used to go "Treasure Hunting" when they went down to Florida! Their basement at home was full of stuff they found out there and brought back when they came home in the summer. Grandma would spend a month organizing and pricing, then hold a yard sale here to sell the stuff they brought back from there! LOL! Like you said... amazing, quality stuff got thrown out!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
My grandparents used to go "Treasure Hunting" when they went down to Florida! Their basement at home was full of stuff they found out there and brought back when they came home in the summer. Grandma would spend a month organizing and pricing, then hold a yard sale here to sell the stuff they brought back from there! LOL! Like you said... amazing, quality stuff got thrown out!
I lived in Florida for a short time back in 2002-2003. The entire state was a true Treasure Trove. Folks from up north move there and bring as much of their stuff as the possibly can. Guys are the worst and simply can't part with their tools or hobbies. Then they die leaving a wife who has no clue and a family in far off states who want no part in the clean up. Florida is an Ebay flippers dream come true and the vast amounts of exceptionally good items to be found for very cheap is unsurpassed by any other state in this union.

With an 18 wheeler and a pocket full of money and place to bring stuff to further up north a guy with some basic knowledge could easily make a very good living while hunting there in the cold months and returning north in the summer with his booty to be sold. What do we think an 80 year old woman does with her mechanic husbands tools after he is gone. I passed up so many very high quality tools, guns and machines while there simply because I had no place to store them and was not interested in doing a big Ebay sales deal.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
My uncle who lived in California would go through the up-scale areas before the trash man and pickup all the lawn mowers. Often time they needed nothing more than a spark plug or just some gas. He made a fair amount of extra money reselling them.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
In Florida the neighbor 3 doors down from my home passed away. I never met him but learned he was a transplant from NY and had worked all his life for RCA as a radio/video technician. His home was one of very few there with a full basement under it. The basement was full from floor to ceiling with heavy shelves throughout filled with Tube type amplifiers and probably thousands of old Vacuum tubes brand new in their boxes. This was his hobby and his only son was already dead. In preparation of the sale of the home the woman hired a crew to clean out all the stuff and paid them $1,000 to haul it all away. Anyone who is familiar with tube type radios and amplifiers knows that these items are highly treasured today and worth many thousands of dollars. Some of those tubes go for major dollars in the vintage electronics world and they carried them out by the case. I bought the guys lawn mower but was drooling while watching the movers haul out their booty.

Back when our cherished member Russ Austin, (Lizrdbrth) passed he left his wife, member Purple people eater with a hoard of TW related items to blow any and all of us away. She was devastated with the monumental task of clearing it all out. Many members out there helped her and her sons get the job done. I still have some of the items she donated to me for one of my projects. We simply can't take it with us but what we value while here can be a major problem when we go. Every time I look around my house, my shed, my barn, my garage and my tool trailer I shudder to think what a mess I will leave my wife if I drop dead tomorrow. She has no idea what I have or what any of it is worth but it will be junk to her because she will never be able to stay here in this home without me. I have an extremely hard time getting rid of the stuff I might need and an even harder time thinking that the day will come.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I know the reason lots of folks around here move into a smaller house. So there won't be as much stuff left when they pass on.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I would be happy to send you some, but I don't make it.
The stuff I had in NC was OUTFREAKENSTANDING.

Smitty:
"...I feel like one of my children has passed..."

That's OK, I'll send you one of mine...you send me your moonshine.
A good jar of 'shine is getting hard to find!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
In Florida the neighbor 3 doors down from my home passed away. I never met him but learned he was a transplant from NY and had worked all his life for RCA as a radio/video technician. His home was one of very few there with a full basement under it. The basement was full from floor to ceiling with heavy shelves throughout filled with Tube type amplifiers and probably thousands of old Vacuum tubes brand new in their boxes. This was his hobby and his only son was already dead. In preparation of the sale of the home the woman hired a crew to clean out all the stuff and paid them $1,000 to haul it all away. Anyone who is familiar with tube type radios and amplifiers knows that these items are highly treasured today and worth many thousands of dollars. Some of those tubes go for major dollars in the vintage electronics world and they carried them out by the case. I bought the guys lawn mower but was drooling while watching the movers haul out their booty.

Back when our cherished member Russ Austin, (Lizrdbrth) passed he left his wife, member Purple people eater with a hoard of TW related items to blow any and all of us away. She was devastated with the monumental task of clearing it all out. Many members out there helped her and her sons get the job done. I still have some of the items she donated to me for one of my projects. We simply can't take it with us but what we value while here can be a major problem when we go. Every time I look around my house, my shed, my barn, my garage and my tool trailer I shudder to think what a mess I will leave my wife if I drop dead tomorrow. She has no idea what I have or what any of it is worth but it will be junk to her because she will never be able to stay here in this home without me. I have an extremely hard time getting rid of the stuff I might need and an even harder time thinking that the day will come.

GaryL
Just pass my phone number along to her and I will help her get rid of it. The only stipulation is if I die first you have to clean out my shit for my wife. Deal?

Tom

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Just pass my phone number along to her and I will help her get rid of it. The only stipulation is if I die first you have to clean out my shit for my wife. Deal?

Tom
NO DEAL! With my luck you will go first and I will end up with twice as much crap and no place to store it for that rainy day.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts