TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Image 13.jpg Image 7.jpg Image 5.jpg Image 2.jpg
Looking at the Montana Atlas & Gazetteer I noticed while looking at the Trail Creek exit off of I-90 on Bozeman Pass that Trail Creek connected to the Old Yellowstone Trail and continued on to the Roosevelt Arch at the North Entrance to Yellowstone Park.

I have had this on my Bucket List for a long time.

Well I started at the Trail Creek exit and continued until it dumped me out on Rt89 (paved). I couldn't believe that that it didn't continue on to the Yellowstone Trail so I saw a dirt road continuing on where Trail Creek ended and I took it. Well after another 10 miles or so I had to turn around and when I did I asked an area resident if I could get through somehow on dirt to Gardner, MT. The person told me no way and I would need to return to Rt 89. (So anyone looking at the Montana Gazetteer thinking they will do dirt all the way to Yellowstone will have a problem)

So I took 89 south to Emigrant and made a left toward Chico. When I hit the East River Drive (couple miles) I headed south until I hit 89 again and headed south toward the Tom Miner exit (about 5 miles right before you hit the canyon.) After you take the Tom Miner exit make a left south and stay on it until you see the Roosevelt Arch.

I retraced my route on the way back thinking I missed something. When I got back to the Tom Miner exit there was a sign that showed the Old Yellowstone trail continuing North so I thought I discovered something and continued North on it. Well finally it dumped me back out on Rt 89.(Looking closer at the map the Yellowstone Trail is partly on Rt89.)

Anyway, it's better than taking Rt89 all the way to YNP especially if your riding a t-dub. There is usually a high volume of high speed traffic on Rt89 heading to the park at a high rate of speed.

This route is really relaxing and easy to negotiate. I have included some pictures to give you an idea of what the roads are like and the scenery.

Need help posting keep getting my photos in wrong places...

Hope this helps someone and keep on riding.....Moose

I have more pictures on my Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
So I took 89 south to Emigrant and made a left toward Chico. When I hit the East River Drive (couple miles) I headed south until I hit 89 again and headed south toward the Tom Miner exit (about 5 miles right before you hit the canyon.) After you take the Tom Miner exit make a left south and stay on it until you see the Roosevelt Arch.
I think, from a careful look at the sat photos and the Montana topos, that if you had gone North just over a mile after the East River Drive hit 89 and turned left just north of Little Donohue Creek at a Maintenance Station, you could have gotten back on the Old Yellowstone Road about 5 miles north of Miner.....FWIW.;)

Someday I gotta try that way....it was the original wagon road into Yellowstone from Ft. Ellis near Bozeman, then the railroad paralleled it south of Emigrant later.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Rocky, Your right on..On my way back to Livingston I came out to 89 that way. If you go, it's a fun ride especially along the river and seeing the arch as you come down the trail is a nice picture.

Moose

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, I used the Montana Atlas & Gazetteer when I planned the trip to YP and believe me, it is misleading.

Moose

1 - 5 of 5 Posts