TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last year or so I have been looking for another TW for a Catamount type of project. Occasionally, I would post the following ad on the local craigslist, fishing for a good deal:

Wanted - Yamaha TW200 TW 200 Project Bike or Parts Bike

Do you have a TW200 that you don't ride or one that needs some work?

I am looking for any year Yamaha TW200 project bike or parts.

I am interested in either a complete bike or a parts bike. Bike does not need to be running or registered. Let me know what you have.

Most of the time I would get no responses, however this time I think hit the jackpot! Yesterday I picked up the following two bikes:

Bike #1

1987 (Yeah I know all about that year, but would you have passed up this bike?) with 3,362 miles. Looks even better in person than the pictures show. Has been sitting for the past 6 years and will need a new battery and some tank/carb cleaning before I try to start it. Paid $500.

Bike #2

2003 with 2,622 miles. This bike has spent at least a portion of its life outside in San Francisco and is a little rough. A previous owner shaved the seat down and did a poor job of painting parts of it, presumably to cover up rusted areas. Everything works on it and the bike runs great. Paid $950.

Counting the one that I gave to my son, these bikes bring my current inventory up to 5 TW's (plus a Harley Softail, Honda XR650L, Suzuki DRZ400SM and a Rokon).

I don't think I have a problem, really I don't.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
is there AA for TW addiction? (nice finds!)

·
Registered
976 Posts
It looks like you scored a whole lot of TW for under $1500!

The '03 would make a great platform for your custom, and from the looks of that '87 it would make for a good donor bike for many parts.

Of course if you get the '87 up and running you could have two project TWs on your hands, or a project ('03) and a vintage restoration job ('87).

Nice going! Nothing wrong with options.

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
TW-Brian, you scored big time on this one!

Maybe, just maybe, I can trick my wife and say I'm looking for a parts bike!

·
Registered
86 Posts
That 87 should be kept in perfect original condition. That is a rare find and will become even more so as time goes on. In a few years it will be worth more than the 03.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
...and here I thought I had a problem....MTWS* strikes again!

*Multiple TrailWay Syndrome

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
That 87 should be kept in perfect original condition. That is a rare find and will become even more so as time goes on. In a few years it will be worth more than the 03.

+1

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Woohoo, it's a runner!

I finally had a few minutes to work on the '87 tonight. I put in a fresh battery and turned the key on. Indicator lights, headlight (high & low), taillight, turn signals, brakelight and horn all worked. Pressed the starter. The engine turned over normally with no weird noises or mechanical screeching or clunking. I pulled the fuel line off the carb and used a funnel to fill the carb bowl with gas. Tried the starter again. Every few seconds it would sputter but wouldn't keep running. After a few minutes of cranking and refilling the bowl, I was able to get it to stay running with the choke on. I then filled the bowl with a mix of half gas and half Seafoam and then shut it off. That was all I wanted to do until I can change the oil/filter, drain/clean the tank, get some new fuel lines and a fuel filter, and some fresh gas.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
You scored. I don't suppose a TW should remain unmolested, but that thing sure is exceptional.

Wish I had some closeups. Until now I thought this might be the cleanest '87 I'd ever see. Garage kept with only 600 miles on the clock. From the pics I'd say yours was way cleaner. Yours doesn't even appear to have a single boot mark on the cases.

Last of the "real" petcocks with filter bowls, too. If the brass screen is stil intact you won't need those crappy inline filters. I have a cast filter bowl to replace your plastic one if you want it.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are right Russ, I really lucked out on this deal.

When the guy responded to my ad, he said he had a TW that he thought might make a good project for me. He said it was an '89 and hadn't been started in quite a few years. He said that he thought that the petcock had leaked gas into the crankcase and had caused the clutch plates to seize up because the last time he had started it, it would start and run in neutral but would stall out when he tried to put in into gear. I asked him what he was looking to get for it and he said $500.

Thinking that it was an '89 like he said, I asked if the bike was blue. He said no, and that it was red and white. I thought to myself "Crap, it must be an '87" and wasn't even sure that I was still interested. I told him that I was going to look at another bike in the morning and would give him a call after I got home from checking that one out. I ended up buying the 2003 TW in the morning and after unloading it, gave him a call and got his voice mail. I kinda hoped he wouldn't return my call.

He did call back and said that since he had to stop at his bank to pick up the title, he would just load the bike in his truck and bring it by my place. I agreed, but was kinda worried about what I would do it it turned out to be a piece of junk. I was out in my driveway and saw him coming down the street and thought "Crap, it is an '87, now what am I going to do, maybe I can talk him down on the price". As I walked up to meet him, I gave the bike a quick look. It was kinda dusty, but I just about peed my pants when I saw how unmolested it was. Now I all I can think is "I hope I can get it unloaded and paid for before he changes his mind".

Turns out, the seller was a really nice guy. He had gotten a new bike, figured he would never get around to working on the TW again and was happy that it was going to a TW enthusiast. I was certainly happy with my purchase!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts