TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
If it works for wet clutch applications then its more a matter of what temp range you will be riding in. I believe recommended weight is 10W40 which covers a large temp range. The newer manuals show 10w40/15w40 and 20w50 depending on what air temp's you normally ride in. If you don't ride below 35F then 15w50 should be fine. I personally use 15W40 rotella since I am old and a sissy now and would not consider riding much below 60F....lol.........

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Since Ducati's are all wet clutch these days the wet clutch compatible thing will be a non issue. it will be fine so long as it fits the temp range you ride in as mentioned earlier.

FWIW I run full syn 10w50 in both of my tw's and i can run it year round in the northeast. I have been running Castrol but since Amsoil came out with that one philo posted a link to that will be what goes in mine once the case of Castrol runs out.

I run 10w40 in my Ducati since i do tend to sometimes ride in really cold temps and its what my dealer suggested when i bought it back in 2011.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I really don't plan on riding in temps less than 50 or 60 degrees F. I suffered enough in my younger days when my bike was my only form of transportation. Now I ride for enjoyment.

I have been trusting my Ducati dealer for the choice of oil in my Multistrada - I'm thinking about giving it a try in my TW.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use Rotella in ALL of my bikes...over 50 bikes now. NEVER had a problem. I hate getting involved in oil threads. Why, WHY do I do this??...LOL

·
Registered
79 Posts
To clarify........you currently have 50 bikes currently? I have trouble resisting an oil thread............lol..............

·
Registered
57 Posts
To clarify........you currently have 50 bikes currently? I have trouble resisting an oil thread............lol..............
LOL...No. After I pick up the new TW tomorrow, we'll have 6 in the garage, but I've owned...I think I'm at 57 bikes. It's a sickness for sure and really keeps Progressive on their toes! I actually have a database that I keep which is kind of fun to look back on every now and then. Owned lots from the "big four" companies as well as BMW, Guzzi, Bultaco (my screen name) and ATK. Never owned a Ducati, Ural, or Triumph...and yeah, I realize there are literally over a hundred other companies. I tend not to keep them very long, although at age 55, I'm beginning to slow down. On my third Wing and have owned it since 2013, so that's not bad. Of all the dirt bikes, probably kept an XR400 the longest. I was thinking about throwing the list in my signature just for giggles, but I'm new here I don't know how...LOL!

·
Registered
79 Posts
lol.........and I was counting on you to make me feel better about my collection but I guess not today ;)) I was already to tell my wife and friends that I know a guy with 57 bikes so stop making fun of me..... My insurance company has awarded me with customer of the year for about 10 years in a row....

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
I use Rotella in ALL of my bikes......
One thing about oil threads is they can start lively discussions!

That being said, and I have posted this before, I tried Rotella in both of my TW's and immediately afterwards the clutches in both bikes started slipping. On the bright side, I then installed Barnett Kevlar Clutches and couldn't be happier. Cost twice as much but worth their weight in gold! And now I use whatever top of the line MC synthetic oil that is on sale at O'Reilly's.

PC080022.JPG P5090053A.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow...NEVER had a problem. Heck, even their T6 synthetic is JASO-MA. Oh well...I'll soon find out! I just use the conventional and change often.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have used nothing but Shell Rotella T6 in all bikes, street and dirt for many years with no issues. That will always be my recommendation until my personal experience changes. But yes, oil discussions are like religion and politics...................

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Yep! JASO-MA. I think it was Jersy Jeeper that told me if you see CI-4 PLUS do not use it with wet clutches. Of course I got that little piece of information after I changed the oil........no matter because it all lead me to the kevlar clutch and I am super happy with it.

PC080023a.jpg

·
Registered
7,220 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
You guys in the other 49 states are lucky. We have to use bio-degradable oil filters and they don't work as well as the "real" oil filters.
What scares me is that CA restrictions have their way of slowly making it to the east.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts