TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been a long-time lurker here, awaiting the day when I could finally join the ranks of TeeDub owners. I'm not sure why I haven't gotten one yet... Actually, no, that's not true. Here in Eastern Canada, used TW200 command a pretty high price and are few and far in between. In fact, small dual-sport motorcycles seem to be in demand.

But now, I finally have the opportunity to get one.

A 2004 TW200, with ~16600km, a Jimbo Shield, hand guards, and a 45T rear sprocket is for sale within about 5 hours drive from where I live. It seems to be in pretty good shape though it's been used almost exclusively in trails for the last few years, and the price is very attractive at ~$2200

Pics from the ad :
$_27 (1).JPG $_27.JPG

But of course, there is a but.

A colleague's neighbour is parting with his 2006 Kawasaki Super Sherpa (KL250). It has comparable kilometers on it, but was used as a trail machine and so has a few dings and scrapes, though the price is good at ~$1800.

Looks a lot like this one, but with a few more dings :
1156598_7d912e736aba8e61.jpg

So, I'm torn.

The Sherpa has, near as I can tell, everything TW owners wish their bikes had :
- more powerful 250cc engine
- 6 gears
- larger tank
- stainless steel exhaust
- disk brakes front and back

But for all that, I'm still not sure if I'd like it more than the two-wheeled tractor.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Gosh Phreadd, that is a difficult choice.
On the one hand if you get a TW you will be quirky and unique, but will always have friends here on the Forum.
On the other hand getting the Super Sherpa addresses all the shortcomings of the TW you mentioned but now you would be riding near the bottom rung of a very tall ladder of conventional dual sport and trail bikes of ever increasing displacement, suspension and sticker prices with a seemingly endless array of aftermarket tires, parts, accessories not available to the TW.
In other words you have to ask yourself if you want the $10,000 KTM riders you encounter on the trail to think "What the heck was that?" or "Why doesn't he get a real bike?":p
Seriously both are good choices depending on the intended use.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Id choose the Kawi depending on condition. I couldnt find one when I was looking for bikes.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yeah, I love my T-Dub more every day, but that Kawi is definitely an upgrade. If it's in anywhere near comparable condition, I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Easy choice, get the sherpa, that tw is not worth $2200. If you could get him down to $1800 totally go with the tdub.

Quirky, fun, attracts attention, tractor, did I say fun? It's like a 200cc pit bike that has grown human ergonomics :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies.

I might agree that the TW isn't worth that price, except that in the local (~600km from where I am) market, if you can actually find a TW for sale, they're usually $3000+ almost regardless of condition or year. Now, I would agree that paying that much for a 10 year old bike, when it was ~$5000+tax new is silly, but the numbers don't lie. In the last year or so, I have rarely seen any of them listed for very long, so either people do buy them at ridiculously inflated prices (supply and demand and all that jazz) or the sellers are coming to their senses and keeping the little buggers.

Just about all of those arguments apply to the Sherpa as well. Very few of them show up for sale, and when they do, they get snapped up quickly.

I guess what it comes down to is this : Is the uniqueness of the TeeDub sufficient to offset the advantages offered by the Sherpa ?

Decisions, decisions !

(And if it were feasible - I'd get both in a heartbeat !)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I own two TW200s so I hate to admit this but my buddy that I ride with all the time has a Super Sherpa and I must admit it out performs the TW at pretty well everything.The 6 speed is perfect on the trails to the highway, quieter, more powerful, 520 O-ring chain, larger tank, better eronomics etc.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
PeterB, you bring that Sherpa down to a TW gathering and I will personally put the pole to tie you to and start the fire lol. I looked at one and I have to agree it is a good one. Thing is, it has bicycle tires on it compared to the TW. Do like the other amenities of it. Will stay with the TW and have the 1500+ bikes for the road.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It would all depend on where you do the most of your riding. If your a low speed, trail riding
kinda person then it's the TW. If your on the road very much (like 55mph) then it's the Kawasaki.
The Kawasaki will outperform the TW without any question. I do think the cult status of the TW
makes it a better unit if your going to sell it some day. Very easy to sell.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I just got the TW200 a few months ago. I like it for the real tough trails. The guys with the KTMs just give me a strange look when they come across me on their Black Diamond trails. I have 3 front sprockets for my WR (more power and suspension than the Sherpa you are thinking of) so I can do black diamond trails or blast down the freeway. The TW will take you on trails that you would think twice on taking with the Sherpa.
If you plan to get into those remote places following a deer trail - get the TW. If you want a bike that will go most places, then get the Sherpa.
For Canda, the price seems fair.

PS When I go for a ride with my son he gets to man handle the WR on the tough trails, while I meander up them on the TW.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
PeterB, you bring that Sherpa down to a TW gathering and I will personally put the pole to tie you to and start the fire lol

Gee I was just starting to think that "plumbstraight" seems like a real nice guy. lol Perhaps in the sand or on rock the TW might be better but in the bush up here those tall skinnies are pretty awesome. Hey I love the fat tires for the street but realisticly there must be a reason most off-road bikes run the skinny tires. Ok the good of the TW is that there is alot more used and aftermarket parts available and this forum has alot of amazing people which nobody can debate.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
PeterB, you bring that Sherpa down to a TW gathering and I will personally put the pole to tie you to and start the fire lol

Gee I was just starting to think that "plumbstraight" seems like a real nice guy. lol Perhaps in the sand or on rock the TW might be better but in the bush up here those tall skinnies are pretty awesome. Hey I love the fat tires for the street but realisticly there must be a reason most off-road bikes run the skinny tires. Ok the good of the TW is that there is alot more used and aftermarket parts available and this forum has alot of amazing people which nobody can debate.
PeterB, I hate to inform you about the other bikes. They just haven't got it figured out yet. Yes the TW might be a bit under powered, but that is just an overstated opinion. I am not a small fellow and it has never complained to take my caboose up any hill or down any canyon I care to tread on.

·
Super Moderator
4,877 Posts
If you get the Kwacker – you’ll always still dream about having the TW

But if you get the TW – you’re likely to soon forget all about the Kawasaki

Having a TW is almost a “Philosophy” …….

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you get the Kwacker – you’ll always still dream about having the TW

But if you get the TW – you’re likely to soon forget all about the Kawasaki

Having a TW is almost a “Philosophy” …….

You know, I really think this is what it's going to come down to. I have been shamelessly lusting after a TW of my very own for a while.
It may make me sad to see the Super Sherpa go, especially for the all-around commuter aspect.

Another consideration : I would much rather have a motorcycle that's still in production. My other bike isn't, and it can make things challenging from time to time. Add to that that I have no idea what the part/farkle situation for the Sherpa is like, and... well... I may have answered my own question.

Plus - the TW brought me to this extremely helpful place.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts