TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
It's been around since my second year of Boy Scouts. (But back then only as an over mimeographed copy passed around.) Occasionally updated. Endlessly nostalgic. Still viable, and fun to read if you are a hunter or grew up in the outdoors, especially during the '60's and early '70's when greased boots and wool clothing was the hot setup. I had to pull it up for a little talk/training I'm doing and thought I'd share it with you guys and gals.

http://www.state.me.us/ifw/education/pdfs/aloneinmainewoods.pdf

Registered
Due to the lack of Pack Leaders, we didn't have any scouting past Cub Scouts! I do remember going on the Hiawatha Trail one year. This I give credit to my need to see what's around the next bend.

I saved this guide for future reading. First hand experience, letting someone know is huge! Thanks

Registered
Timeless knowledge and skills we should all have. Too many of the younger generation think they should just pull out their cell phones and 911 up a helicopter when they stub a toe. So many stories abound here of those who venture out with just an energy bar and an i-phone assuming somebody else will certainly take care of them . It is a rare day my cell phone has service in the back woods.

Registered
with scouting we used to go for night hikes (sometimes in the snow) when we went camping...we were all probably in our teens at the time...flashlights (that were off 90% of the time), firemaking gear, map, compass, first aid kit, some line and extra clothes...that's about it...such a good time...miss those days...cooking on an open fire, open bottom old canvas army tents, ground cloths, fire tending, splitting wood, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts