TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is a 1 inch extension. You have to extend the brake rod and chain too, of course. You just cut the swing arm on both sides, find a piece of metal to slide snugly into the swing arm channel, and weld it in. It looks like other guys have installed Maxxis tires on their bikes too. I was wondering if they extended their swing arms also.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Is It nessasary to extend the swingarm to run a maxxis bighorn 2.0 ? I know its close but will the wheel spin ? I'm not worried about the chain guard
http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/2734-handy-dandy-atv-tire-fitment-chart-2.html

Scroll down to my pics of the clearance issues involved in a stock vs. extended swingarm.

Choice of tire is a real factor when trying to stuff one in a stock swingarm. generally you're gunna want the shorter options. Most of the diameters of the more popular tires are listed in the thread as well. Most can be made to work but the taller ones need to be set back so far that future chain adjustments are limited, among other things.

None of these tires are particularly cheap, nor is the regearing, longer chain, etc. required to do the job right so you'll be happier with it. Read the whole thread when you have time and see if they're something you really want.

You'll also want to be extremely sensible when installing them. You'll destroy the tire and it's entirely possible to blow your head off if you use too much pressure when seating the bead. I'll scrounge up a link to one of my own true confessions once I locate it. There have been others, both reported and unreported.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I say no, but get more input. I wanted some room for mud, rocks and logs. I never had any problems without the chain gaurd.

I do know one thing for sure, as others have said, you can't change the tire yourself if you get a flat. I think that thing is a radial tire. You can't get it off with hand tools. I tried running it over with my Jeep and had to put it in 4 wheel drive. I'm gonna have to take it in to the Honda shop. The bead is on there good.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I've changed mine at home numerous times, but you won't git 'r done in the field unless a well-equipped Jeeper happens by.

I stick the snout of my Hi-Lift jack into the receiver of my truck hitch, then lay the wheel and tire beneath the foot of the jack and start jacking.. If you hold yer mouth right it'll pop off the bead, but it takes a fair amount of pressure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts