What kind of seat do you have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,.... my butt hurts after riding so much, factory seat!

I want to hear from everyone who has a aftermarket seat or uses a pad on the factory one.

I am ready to buy either so I can keep riding or even ride more.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a Mad Dog (Coleman) seat pad. While I have found it to be a decent improvement over the factory seat on short rides - it has only made me realize I require a Seat Concepts unit desperately! Might even be next on my upgrade list, as I have recently admitted to myself that the factory fuel tank can easily outlast my ass/lower back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Mad Dog (Coleman) seat pad. While I have found it to be a decent improvement over the factory seat on short rides - it has only made me realize I require a Seat Concepts unit desperately! Might even be next on my upgrade list, as I have recently admitted to myself that the factory fuel tank can easily outlast my ass/lower back.
Have you sat on a Seat Concepts seat?
Just wondering if they are a big improvement.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I've had both, the Seat Concepts is much better.

·
Registered
194 Posts
One of the bikes has a new factory seat and the other one has a factory foam that has 1/4" of foam added to it along with a thicker custom cover. It seems to help a bit on the longer rides.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
One of the first "upgrades" I made to my DR650, was to install a Seat Concepts cover...what a disappointment.
I went from only being able to ride for about 1 hour....to 1½ hours. After listening to all the hype, I thought it would be a drastic improvement...it wasn't. It was a marginal upgrade at best.
In the end, I still used a Coleman seat cover and often covered that with a piece of Sheepskin.

I currently have a Coleman seat on the TW...and after a couple of hours, even it starts to hurt. All of those bumps and ridges create hot-spots on my ass and it drives me crazy.
Come winter, I might try my hand at upholstery...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the first "upgrades" I made to my DR650, was to install a Seat Concepts cover...what a disappointment.
I went from only being able to ride for about 1 hour....to 1½ hours. After listening to all the hype, I thought it would be a drastic improvement...it wasn't. It was a marginal upgrade at best.
In the end, I still used a Coleman seat cover and often covered that with a piece of Sheepskin.

I currently have a Coleman seat on the TW...and after a couple of hours, even it starts to hurt. All of those bumps and ridges create hot-spots on my ass and it drives me crazy.
Come winter, I might try my hand at upholstery...
I've redone a bench seat in our Kawasaki Mule, even added heated seat warmers to it, I was thinking perhaps to disassemble the factory seat and horizontal drill thru the foam every inch in the area I contact the seat to make it softer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hell, you run out of gas before your butt hurts on a Tee Dub. It's not exactly a touring machine. Lots of time I'm on the pegs, anyways. There is a Sargent on the Dakar and I can go 3 hours. And that's about right. Either way, we should be stopping to smell the proverbial roses on the small bikes. That's what it is all about.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I use padded bike riding shorts. Really helps and much less expensive than a seat upgrade. You may want to give it a try. Look for one that doesn't have tight bands for the lower leg portion. I had some that chafed me at the leg cuff.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
TW200 Stock seat = Sucks, though if you've ridden a KTM you'll think the stocker is wonderful
TW200 Stock seat w/Maddog/Coleman seat cover = better but I graduated to Seat Concepts
(y) Seat Concepts seat = bester. I like'em so good I've put them on all my TW's. Apparently, not everyone likes the seat concepts but if you ask more than one person their opinion on anything you're gonna get a bucketful of mixed answers. Wish my XT350 and XT200 had Seat Concepts. Bet you can now guess which bikes have the leftover Maddog seat pads!

There is at least one other custom seat that I'm aware of. Fisher Seats but I believe you have to send them measurements and a seat pan for them to craft their butt magic. Fisher Seats - Custom Aftermarket Motorcycle Seat Modification $299.99

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an aftermarket seat cover(just the cover) that I reupholstered over my factory seat and added about an inch of foam. I still want more so I am planning to us a maddog gel seat cover but I am planning to upholster over it. Anybody try this. I am pretty sure I have enough space with the non slip cover.

·
Registered
670 Posts
To me the stock seat is fine at first and firm enough for support. But what I think happens is the support quickly fades away and I feel as if I am soon sitting on the seatpan. I can then move further back on the seat and feel the support again. Then move back to normal position and back to mush. Don't know if it is a foam density issue, quality of foam issue, or, open cell vs closed cell foam issue. I do know that it sucks after just a few miles and often stand on the pegs to let the blood run back into my Gluteus Ass-imuseses!

Marty

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I thought breaking in ones butt was the way to go. doesn't the seat and your rear end eventually become a well developed relationship. I stand regularly, hell even my couch starts to hurt me if I sit there to long

Reactions: NorthernSpy

·
Registered
691 Posts
I sure would like one of these Russell Touring Products Day-Long seats. Unfortunately - they seem to be priced anywhere from $450-$600! Pictured here...

'03 tw200

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I read complaints about the stock seat all the time, and it puzzles me.
I've rode maybe about 30 different motorcycles over the years and I find the TW saddle is... not that bad.

I'm not saying it's great, but I've also rode on a lot worse.
I find maybe after about 2-2.5 hours it gets a bit saddlesore, but hop off for 10 minutes to stretch my legs while refuelling or grabbing some water, and it's fine to ride again.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I read complaints about the stock seat all the time, and it puzzles me.
I've rode maybe about 30 different motorcycles over the years and I find the TW saddle is... not that bad.

I'm not saying it's great, but I've also rode on a lot worse.
I find maybe after about 2-2.5 hours it gets a bit saddlesore, but hop off for 10 minutes to stretch my legs while refuelling or grabbing some water, and it's fine to ride again.
Nah. I'm with you. I just haven't ridden more than 1.5 hours on it without taking a break. Can't go that far where live...

I think it is either old broke down foam or old broke down people. :) Either my cheap Staples chair in my home office has worn out considerably, or my body has during this work-from-home-COVID thing and what used to be comfortable isn't anymore. Not used to so much chair time.

I did see a newer TW coming off the Malahat (Langford side) while I was just getting on it (on the BMW). Wondered if it was you. Assumed that person was coming from Finlayson Arm Rd, as I can't imagine riding one over the Malahat.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I love the Seat Concepts. I've had them on several bikes. The Russell Day Long are the best I've tried but as Reddave points out they're awful pricey.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I use padded bike riding shorts. Really helps and much less expensive than a seat upgrade. You may want to give it a try. Look for one that doesn't have tight bands for the lower leg portion. I had some that chafed me at the leg cuff.
I will wear those under my riding pants on occasion. Like you said, just have to find the right pair. More mountain bike than road bike style.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did see a newer TW coming off the Malahat (Langford side) while I was just getting on it (on the BMW). Wondered if it was you. Assumed that person was coming from Finlayson Arm Rd, as I can't imagine riding one over the Malahat.
It wasn't me, though I'm thinking of doing the Port Renfrew loop one of the next few weekends.
I wouldn't be too worried about taking a TW over the Malahat myself - it seems like the last couple of times I've rode over, I've gotten stuck behind a gravel truck doing 60 kph.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts