TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't care if it is an acronym for Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious, I have a soft spot for several of the lightweight road designs of Colli Chapman. Always lusted after the Super 7 in all its variations over the years. 1992_caterham_super_7_1538504493d598f3c19IMG_4897-940x692.jpg
Have been given wild rides in a buddies Elan, they were almost mainstream and became the inspiration decades later for the Mazda Miata. landscape-1436469284-lotus-elans-john-lamm-0883-lead.jpg

But the closest I got to getting bit by the bug was a few test drives with cash in my pocket in a '67 Europa. europa.jpg This '68 mid-engine backbone chassis ultra-lightweight darling was just a little too far gone for my budget. A ratty 85 hp Renault motor, wonky transmission linkage and faded fiberglass had me walk away from what seemed like a thinly disguised race car or go-cart. I think the whole door weighed less than 10 pounds, it was not something you slammed, mow like closing a china cabinet. What a cornering machine but I doubted many parts would have been available back then. I never saw another reasonable example for sale as they were rare, unpopular and never got the cult following of other classic Lotus. If I had bought it I'ld likely still be restoring it.

So, what machines captured your imagination or wallet?

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
A street model 1967 427 View attachment 187858 Shelby Cobra...and yes, it is a original but it has been wrecked and rebuilt and has a salvage title...

I call the 356 Coupe David and this I call Goliath ...
Ha! I watched right out in front of HS on lunch hour in 1967 that exact Shelby Cobra 427 get destroyed with less than 100 miles on it. The richest kid in school got it as a graduation present in mid June and the first day he drove it to school he pulled a hole shot, hit second gear, lost control and hit the big elm tree at the corner of the school yard. That car folded like a cheap suit and he was hurt pretty bad. That was the end of driving our cars during the lunch hour. It was one of my favorite cars of the day along with a buddies Hemi GTX Road Runner.

GaryL

·
Registered
230 Posts
Now that is interesting Gary....it is a infamous Cobra....The Shelby Registry keeps track of all of Shelby's cars....and this car was documented as totaled and sold for parts....it didn't exist.....it was apparently ignored and stored in a garage for decades.....as the value of the originals appreciated.....the car was rebuilt and offered at auction as the lowest mileage 427 Cobra in existence....that is when the Registry got ahold of the FBI and informed them that car no longer existed.... the FBI made them remove the car from auction and with no title or registration, it sat in a private collection for another decade or so.....

I managed to buy it and have it titled and registered in Arizona where it was refreshed....it is not a particularly valuable car because it is not a nuts and bolts all original parts restoration....but that is ok with me as I want to drive it and have no intention of selling it...

0038356-R1-24-0A.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
Audi Quattro Coupe 1988 – non-turbo – 2.2 straight five – nearest thing to a motor bike on four wheels I’ve ever found

0 – 60 was only around 7.5 seconds, plenty of torque – two power surges, the first at 3200, the second at 4200rpm, but by then you were flying. Only car I ever had that you didn’t need to slow down for roundabouts, just “point and squirt”. Try that in a modern car, and the whole thing would go into “panic mode” – the Quattro would simply grin and take you through it, albeit occasionally on three wheels

In the UK, we used to grade cars for insurance purposes, from group 1, to group 20, 20 being the highest risk. My old unlimited slip diff Jag XJS V12 5.3L weighing two tons was group 19

The Quattro was group 20

audi-quattro-80-b2-coupe-2-2-10v-kv-nie-ur-85-2-5105608956.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Doing up a 32 Ford 5-window (American Graphitti - esque) would probably the bucket list car for me. In terms of European cars- I'd love to get my hands on a Porsche 914 someday, there's just something about them I've always liked.

My favorite of cars I've actually owned would be my 81 Camaro. A little bit of history to it, as my parents and a few other family members had late 2nd gens back in the day. And I've always had a thing for F-Bodies since watching Smokey and the Bandit haha.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Always wanted an 80's 911.
My friend had a 914. Same type of boxer motor and heating system as the VW. When we were at UBC he offered to drive home at the Christmas break from Vancouver to Penticton. He told me to bundle up as the heater did not work on the passenger side. The driver heat exchanger worked, but was not adjustable. He was in a t-shirt and I was in a winter jacket. My side of the car was icing up going over the mountain pass, he was sweating.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
you guys can keep your imports... i like good old American steel
View attachment 187888

View attachment 187890

two of my favorites
Nice Grewen! The operative term here is "Good And Old". I loved the older American vehicles that were well built and built to last. Not much of a fan these days because I honestly believe the American auto industry has lost it's direction and farmed a lot of their own American technology out to foreign lands that are now kicking their ass. We all have some degree of fault in this but when your Ford, GM or Mopar brakes down there is a very good chance what broke was made somewhere other than America.

GaryL

·
Registered
42 Posts
When the Vega came out in 1970 it became my dream to build a V8 Vega (I was 10 at the time). Later I bought a mint one and built my dream car. I loved and drove that car for many years. Eventually I lost interest and sold it to a friend who still owns it today.
Dream car today would be a GTR.
Lol. Did that. Back then you could do it the right way - costly or the cheap way - cheap. Lol. Well I did it the cheap way. Took a small block out of a wrecked z28 and stuffed it under the hood with a turbo 350. Didn't reinforce a dam thing lol. The rear lasted a weekend. We cut down a Mopar 8 3\4 and bolted it up. Ran great but incinerated the tires. Sooo got a semi used pair of slicks and went out street racing. Proceeded to twist the car up to the point that the doors were hard to shut. I sold it for what I had into it and that guy put it on a frame rack and straightened it out. He put a cage in it which gave it regidity and I believe it still lives today. I seen it at Atco dragway a few years ago. Totally redone but still thumpin. Only way I knew it was mine was I put 70 Camaro tail lamps in it. Oh and yes it still had the 8 3\4 rear in it lol.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts