TW200 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought my first one by accident it found me. I went to pick up a car to do repair work on and it was sitting under his carport. It was a 2002 it had a torn seat needed an air filter and a battery and the wiring at the CDI box was corroded gave him $100 bill for it I didn’t even know what a TW 200 was but I was intrigued by the big rear tire.I had a KLR 650 but this thing was so much fun to ride That I rode it more than I did the KLR.I didn’t get a title with the 2002 so I found a 2005 in Cleveland Tennessee with 1500 miles on it. I gave 2500 for it.A couple of years ago I found a 2006 that needed some tender loving care for $1000 it had a title also.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I can't remember why I decided I wanted one of these bikes, but I bought mine from a Yamaha dealer 400 miles away in Crescent City, CA. We decided to visit the redwoods, camp along the California Lost Coast and check out this bike. The dealer had 7 or 8 of them, all used. They were part of a Yamaha Learn-to-Ride program. Each had maybe 300 miles on them and probably had never been out of 3rd gear. I remember even then that the shop had a tough time to get this thing to idle right and even adjusted the idle air screw. I bought it for around $3,000 and took it home.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Some where around 2005 I bought an '87 from a guy here in Reno. I think
he was asking about $2200. During the test ride it would run good for a bit and then start missing real bad. I figured it was an ignition problem so offered him $2000 and bought it. Turned out it was a bad cdi unit, typical '87. Had it for a short while, rode with Adam-From-Nevada a couple of times but found found myself abusing it as I still had the urge to go faster than the poor TW was designed for. So I sold it and bought something else though I can't remember what right now. Anyway, 3 or 4 years ago I got the urge for another TW. Saw an ad from a lady in Fallon, about 60 miles away, who had 2 for sale, a 2000 and a 2007. The 2000 was hers and the 2007 was her teenage son's. I wanted one with a kickstarter so I told her I would take the 2000 as it was in much better condition as you can imagine. Although the 2007 ran better it was obvious it had been ridden pretty hard. So I bought the 2000, around 1900 miles, for $1500. She seemed desperate to get rid of both of them and as I was loading up the 2000 she said if she would sell me the 2007 for $800. Well I couldn't pass that up so after a trip to the local Wells Fargo I headed home with 2 Tw's for $2300. I cleaned up the 2007 and sold it for $2500. This totally went against my "Buy High Sell Low" practice and up to that point in time I guarantee you it had been the first and only time I'd ever made money on a bike transaction.( or anything else)

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Joined this forum in December 2013...had a love affair with Yamaha Big Bikes and Kawasaki Dual Sports{we called them On/Off Road Bikes back in the early and mid 70s}...I was looking into getting back into riding off road. I had been without a motorcycle in about 25 years...the speed bikes were in the past and I was looking into getting back into dual sports. Frankly I was looking at a 250 Kaw...but was willing to look into Yamaha as well...this site convinced me that maybe a TW was right for me...nearing 65 years old, I wasn't looking at any super bike, just something that I could take down the back roads of Ohio and Indiana. Boy did I miss that...this group, Borneo, Fred, Admiral, Little Tommy, Reddog, Psycho Mike, and others convinced me that "Off Road" meant more than just the back roads of the Heartland...so just after that 65th birthday, I sealed the deal on a Brand Spanking New 2014 TW, which I purchased out of Honda East outside Toledo....I never looked back, and never regretted it. The 7000 plus miles have taken me to Moab, Big Bend, around the Great Lakes, the Mountains of West Virginia, and other places in the Midwest...the years of 2015 and 2016 were the greatest off road adventures of my life....and I think I still have another trip or two in me...if I can keep my focus and feet on the peddle.... 😛
Yooper Gravel 3.jpg

21 - 26 of 26 Posts