TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made a video of me riding some trails and included some music that I did not create but sounds so good. I don't want to use any royalty free song because the song i used sounds better. I sent the recording studio an e-mail today and hope I will get a response allowing me to use their material for free. I've had Youtube remove a few of my videos before but been lucky once. What have your experiences been like in situations regarding the use of copyright music in videos that you have created?

·
Registered
485 Posts
There are many things one should know about this. It's kind of complicated but I'll try to summarize it as best I can. I myself have made many videos using background music for personal and home use with some editing software I purchased online. When trying to upload to a public domain like youtube or vimeo, be aware that on occasion these websites monitor for individuals using copyright material in them and can delete them or ban the users account. If all you want to do is make some cool videos for you and family to watch at home it's really no big deal, but once again, when you try to fling it into the public, all bets are off. Now it may sound ominous, but I'm just letting you realize the legal implications of this. In all honesty I still have a few videos up I made of my kids with copyright music up on youtube. Unless you can use music from a royalty free library ::OR:: if the copyright has expired, this will apply. The following is an excerpt from an article which I found helpful.

If your work is for educational purposes, then use of copyrighted material falls under the "Fair Use" provision, which allows reasonable use of copyrighted work, without permission, for research, criticism, or education. A notice at the beginning or end of your production giving credit to copyright owners for their work is usually sufficient. Be aware, however, that not citing sources, or attempting to pass off copyrighted material as your own work, is not considered "fair use." It is plagiarism and can result in harsh penalties.

Works with expired copyrights are considered to be in the "public domain" and can be used without fear of liability of infringement. The major catch in this provision is that copyrights have very long terms before expiry. For example, any sound recording published in the United States after March 1989 will not be available to the public until March 2049 at the earliest. As of January 2009, the only sound recordings that are automatically available in the public domain are those published before 1923, and those published between February 15, 1972 and March 1989 without a copyright. All other recordings may be in the public domain, but further investigation would be required.

If your work is for educational purposes, then use of copyrighted material falls under the "Fair Use" provision, which allows reasonable use of copyrighted work, without permission, for research, criticism, or education. A notice at the beginning or end of your production giving credit to copyright owners for their work is usually sufficient. Be aware, however, that not citing sources, or attempting to pass off copyrighted material as your own work, is not considered "fair use." It is plagiarism and can result in harsh penalties.

Works with expired copyrights are considered to be in the "public domain" and can be used without fear of liability of infringement. The major catch in this provision is that copyrights have very long terms before expiry. For example, any sound recording published in the United States after March 1989 will not be available to the public until March 2049 at the earliest. As of January 2009, the only sound recordings that are automatically available in the public domain are those published before 1923, and those published between February 15, 1972 and March 1989 without a copyright. All other recordings may be in the public domain, but further investigation would be required.

Both "fair use" and "public domain" are gray areas, making it difficult to ensure that you are not infringing the rights of others

OK, with all that mumbo jumbo out of the way, this is what I do. If possible, legally purchase the song in which you wish to use from Rhapsody, ITunes etc. Once you have completed the video and you have a finished product, try to upload to youtube or vimeo (I sometimes have better luck with vimeo). If you get a rejection notification from one due to copyright issues, use the other. Usually you can get it to upload on one of these> I apologize in advance for the extremely long reply, but I don't feel this could be adequately explained in a short post. Good luck with your video and feel free to private message me if you have further questions.

Will

·
Registered
989 Posts
Try putting the name of the artist / band and song title in the description

1 - 3 of 3 Posts