TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of trading in my tw. local dealer has a pretty good deal on a hold-hold-hold over 2011 (eleven, really) yz250f. let's just assume I can actually get it registered & street legal & my wife would let me,,,. what do you think about taking ta yz250f on the highway?? I mean the tw is not great on the highway, but I KNOW it will do it if I really absolutely had to for a while. but the yz? are these yz racing mx engines special, delicate flowers that I shouldn't take on the highway? the yz is geared to get up to speed really quick I hear, so i thnk it could be my ultimate urban bike---just really super quick and light and I could still take it off road (and then some) like the tw.

thanks for your time on this. I guess there's probably a yz forum out there somewhere, but what do they know??

thanks again,

--J

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I've ridden my father in-laws YZ250F and I tell you what, it is a monster. I was thinking, 50 more cc's isn't much...yeah right! Its a great bike, rides stiff as a board though. I'm sure it smooths out at higher speeds.

From what I gathered, these are race bikes. The top ends need to be rebuilt at specific intervals. These are just my opinions and assumptions though. Hopefully someone that has one can chime in.

You'll end up putting at least a couple hundred on up in parts on it to get it street legal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Look at a WR250R, they are already street leagle and rum the highway with no problems. They are a little more scarse then the F model, but its exactly what your looking for

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
^^^what these guys said...what state are you in?...this will determine how hard it is to get one street legal...more than likely it will be too hard to make street legal unless you're in a very easy state...take a look at the below site...it's not the official...like CritterGetter said look at the wr250 and if you want to go bigger look at the wr426 or wr450...better bikes for what you are looking to do...the maintenance intervals on that bike coupled with highway and road miles are not a good combination...

http://www.dmv.org/

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome. im in the great state of maine. thanks for all the info!! think I'll stick with the tw for now & if I do trade I'll go for the wr. I did learn about a guy nearby who street titled a rmz250 2 stroke though---has a license plate and everything

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Washington State changed their laws last year. You can now legally license any motorcycle for on road use as long as it meets certain criteria; blinkers, mirrors, lights, etc. Don't forget that you'll need DOT tires to be completely legal. You have to get it inspected by the State Patrol before it can be licensed. Its not uncommon to have 300-500 bucks in on-road equipment for a previously off-road only bike.

I'd personally go with the WR250R. Less hassle and its similar to the YZ.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
awesome. im in the great state of maine. thanks for all the info!! think I'll stick with the tw for now & if I do trade I'll go for the wr. I did learn about a guy nearby who street titled a rmz250 2 stroke though---has a license plate and everything

yea a wr would be your best bet...a ktm wouldn't be hard to register but you would still have the issue of maintenance intervals and highway miles...if you wanted to get a smoker street legal it's probably easiest to know someone in VT and "sell" the bike to them and have them register it and then "buy" it back and register it in ME...a lot of dirt bike titles have wording that states for offroad use only (or something to that effect) which makes them almost impossible to register, well at least in MA they are...maybe it's easier in ME...not sure

here is the official info from the maine rmv site...

http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registration/mcreg.htm#mcprivate

How to Register a Private Sale Purchased Motorcycle:

Pay excise tax at your town office. Excise tax is a municipal tax. Please contact your local municipal office for additional information.

Documents needed:

-Signed bill of sale

-Title, if the vehicle is a 1995 model year or newer, signed over to new owner from the previous owner(s).

-Evidence of insurance (ID card, policy or binder)

-White & yellow copy of registration application and excise tax receipt (from town office)

If your municipality does not participate in our registration program, you will need to visit a BMV branch office with the documents listed above. Please contact your local municipal office to find out if they participate in our registration program.

Pay 5% Maine sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle.

Pay the title application fee ($33.00).

Pay the appropriate registration fees based on type of plate selected.

Vanity plates are available at any BMV branch office on selected plate types for an additional annual fee of $25.00. You may check the availability of a vanity plate online.

Disability plates are available and a physician's signature is required on the application.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I race my 08 competitively (motocross) and I am a huge yamaha fan. the YZ250F is a great bike. extremely reliable but not very fast up top, you would have to do some gearing changes for sure. its a MX / SX bike not a highway cruiser. but its possible,it would be easier to get a WR like said before. WR stands for wide ratio anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts