TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took a little spill on the TW not too long ago. Came up to a deactivation ditch too fast and hit it slightly diagonally while downshifting and braking. A relatively slo-mo crash on the left side. Barkbusters and front rack did their job. Pounded them and the foot peg back into position with a mallet, no prob. I had the zippers on my jacket slightly undone at the wrist for some airflow. When I wiped, the sleeve rode up my forearm and popped out several zipper teeth on my Rev' It Sand 2 jacket. Buggah.
broken.jpg
It would've been a difficult and expensive repair to rip out and stitch in a new zipper. Then I got to thinking. Zippers are mechanical devices...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I went to Walmart and bought a matching zipper for $8. It was a YKK Vislon 5VSU. My back up plan was to go to the thrift store and buy some item with the same zipper. vislon.jpg double acting.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First I harvested some teeth from the new zipper. I just cut the end off one side and pulled the teeth off the exposed end with a nail clipper. teeth.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Then I opened them up with a jewlers file and to be able to fit over the bump on the zipper fabric. The tricky part was getting them on. I used a real small pair of needle nose.. Once they clipped into place, I gingerly opened and closed the zipper a few times to align them. tools.jpg

Reactions: Lyterx

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Nice job bro!! :)

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Edit: I can now see all the pictures.

Me know see the attachments. Get a "invalid attachment" error message when I click on the attachment link. We've had this problem before. OP maybe can edit and re-attach the photo or if available click on the "go advanced" button and re-attach. One of those methods worked in the past.

P.S. I can see the first picture in post 1 but no other.

Reactions: NorthernSpy

·
Registered
20,488 Posts
Another option is to simply sew in a new YKK zipper. My wife did this for me when my riding coat zipper failed.

Reactions: arbolmano and Ken

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Me no see-um attachments either. Sounds interesting! I had no idea that was even possible.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty complex area with very fine stitching. Would have to remove perf liner, mesh panel, and arm adjustment straps. tough spot.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, we'll see. Not likely to have any of the zippers open much until spring though.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Photos work now. Tested on iPad, android phone and PC

·
Registered
821 Posts
Great to see a repair rather than "get a new one". I dislike when zippers get in the way of action.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts