TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
100cc+ Scooter Choice

so i think i'm going to be selling my bonneville this spring as i really don't have time to ride it with a 7 month old...i will be using that money to buy a new zero turn and maybe a used scooter or moped if i can find something newer...just something to throw a basket on and putt around town to do errands and have a little fun on...if anyone has any input or ideas i'm open...thanks

MA moped regs...

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/moped-registration-and-operation-requirements

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/docs/advisories/scooteradvisory731.pdf

https://www.massrmv.com/rmv/forms/20017.pdf

EDIT: after some feedback i'm now looking at a 100+cc scooter just to be able to keep up with town traffic and be a little safer due to all the distracted drivers out there...plus a little more fun...brands i'm currently looking at are...something with a rear rack for storage and a smaller form so it's still light and doesn't take up much space...so no huge scooters

genuine
piaggio
vespa

honda

yamaha
aprilia
suzuki
sym
lance
kymco

Registered
Discussion Starter #3

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
At that price, worth a call. Cheaper than a new 50cc.
wish i was in the market now...the weird thing i find it it doesn't say yamaha or zuma on it anywhere which makes me feel like it's a knock off

Registered
Check out pissedconsumer.com

REVIEW. These people are scammers I purchased a model I wanted and they call a week after telling me they did not have it and was force to pick another model!!!Donot buy from them they give you the wrong info and tell you stories.
Related: Saferwholesale - Beware, terrible company to do business with

I have been waiting for my dirt bike to arrive in Miami for 1 month and still have not gotten a tracking info. These guys are trash buy from your local vendor before coming onto this website!! They do not give refunds at all!!!
Now I am stuck paying for a bike that no one knows when it will arrive to my house.ITS A TRAP STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Super Moderator
Well I guess that answers that

REVIEW. These people are scammers I purchased a model I wanted and they call a week after telling me they did not have it and was force to pick another model!!!Donot buy from them they give you the wrong info and tell you stories.

I have been waiting for my dirt bike to arrive in Miami for 1 month and still have not gotten a tracking info. These guys are trash buy from your local vendor before coming onto this website!! They do not give refunds at all!!!
Now I am stuck paying for a bike that no one knows when it will arrive to my house.ITS A TRAP STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8

good call...yea i think i'll be sticking to craigslist and in person transactions

Registered
I was wondering how (the price) that was even possible?

I thought the Zuma's were 50cc? Anyway... I like the Ruckus better than the Zuma with no other expertise other than seeing a lot more Ruckus's on the streets than Zuma's.

Super Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter #12

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I was wondering how (the price) that was even possible?

I thought the Zuma's were 50cc? Anyway... I like the Ruckus better than the Zuma with no other expertise other than seeing a lot more Ruckus's on the streets than Zuma's.
i do like the look of the ruckus more since it has less plastic but i could really go either way...i was really wondering how they ride in comparison...cause i'll take whatever is more fun...i think you can get aftermarket engines for some of these so that may be an option too :D

Registered
I too wanted to get a scooter. Looked at the Zuma, wanted at least a 150. Dang thing is expensive... I looked around and found a local ATV sales and service that had these.

https://www.arlingtonpowersports.com/taotao-new-bws-street-legal-150cc-scooter-p/bws-150cc-new.htm

Mine was assembled when I got it. Cost $1100... It runs great and is a hoot...

I have had it 3 years and have put about 3000 miles on it. It will easily do 50mph, which I rarely do... Too fast for a little thing and me...hahahaaa Has the GY6 motor, electric and kick start.. Auto Choke etc.

The bad is the emissions and fuel lines need to be replaced after about 2 years. Cheap stuff! The project was not that difficult but getting the plastic shells off... oh my.... Just patients and care not to force things.... While I had all shells off I decided to adjust the valves... I found that was impossible due to a frame cross brace that made removal of the valve cover impossible. I cut the brace off and moved it 1" up the frame sides and welded it back...

I just love the little thing....

Click on the pictures for a better view!

Shells and seat removed
0501171838.jpg

Fuel and emissions tubes removed
0605171812.jpg

Insane amount of hardware to hold the shells and seat on...I took a lot of pictures!
0501171837c.jpg

Almost all of he tubing replaced
0605171804.jpg

Crossmember that needs to be moved
0511171002a.jpg

Crossmember removed, you can see the problem eh?
0511171001.jpg

Son's welding the crossmember
0607172019.jpg

Jim

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I too wanted to get a scooter. Looked at the Zuma, wanted at least a 150. Dang thing is expensive... I looked around and found a local ATV sales and service that had these.

https://www.arlingtonpowersports.com/taotao-new-bws-street-legal-150cc-scooter-p/bws-150cc-new.htm

Mine was assembled when I got it. Cost $1100... It runs great and is a hoot...

I have had it 3 years and have put about 3000 miles on it. It will easily do 50mph, which I rarely do... Too fast for a little thing and me...hahahaaa Has the GY6 motor, electric and kick start.. Auto Choke etc.

The bad is the emissions and fuel lines need to be replaced after about 2 years. Cheap stuff! The project was not that difficult but getting the plastic shells off... oh my.... Just patients and care not to force things.... While I had all shells off I decided to adjust the valves... I found that was impossible due to a frame cross brace that made removal of the valve cover impossible. I cut the brace off and moved it 1" up the frame sides and welded it back...

I just love the little thing....

Click on the pictures for a better view!

Shells and seat removed
View attachment 161473

Fuel and emissions tubes removed
View attachment 161481

Insane amount of hardware to hold the shells and seat on...I took a lot of pictures!
View attachment 161489

Almost all of he tubing replaced
View attachment 161497

Crossmember that needs to be moved
View attachment 161513

Crossmember removed, you can see the problem eh?
View attachment 161521

Son's welding the crossmember
View attachment 161505

Jim
wow...i wonder what that compartment looks like without all the CA emissions stuff in it...but all that hardware and plastic makes me want the ruckus...at the same time a larger cc scooter would be more fun

Registered
Having lurked on reddit.com/r/scooters, the general consensus is that Tao Taos and other Chinese bikes are a good deal so long as you know how to wrench... otherwise the rep is that the reliability is not as good as Japanese or Taiwanese brands (note that I'm sure folks have had Chinese scooters that have been problem free and all that).

That said, you might have a look at Genuine or Kymco offerings if you're looking for something cheaper than Zuma or Ruckus. I'm always amazed at how much $$$ folks on Craigslist ask for on their old ruckuses. As bad if not worse than Grom sellers....

Registered
After seeing all that... go with the Ruckus. Turn-Key and go. Also, its a Honda.

Registered
I have a 2006 Zuma I bought in a basket for $150.00 a few years ago ,came with a brand new 90 cc kit and with that it easily wheelies ,passes cars ,and does everything you could possibly want for very little money .I don't think the U.S, got them in 2006 ,but they are the same as the 2005 models anyway .Last week I picked up another one not running for $50.00 so they are available cheap .I have done several engine swaps for ruckus owners ,usually after I wheelie past them on my Zuma ,even swapping in a 150 cc they are not as fun as a Zuma although I prefer the look of them .

1 - 20 of 41 Posts